Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 weeks ago

I recently purchased a vpn through expressvpn and I have been seeing google searches that I would never search for. ?

For example local escorts and ED pills. I’m a female I don’t need or want any of that stuff. Is it possible that my vpn has been recycled? 

• opurt
    Favorite Answer

If you look at it this way, you know the VPN is helping to anonymize you because you're seeing things you'd never see if it was based on your own information.

The IP address at the other end of the VPN would be shared between you and a lot of other ExpressVPN users, so advertising targeted to that IP would reflect what you and all those other users are doing.

• Dave

Your VPN has nothing to do with ads. Anyone claiming otherwise doesn’t have a fvcking clue about how targeted ads work. 

Update: Holy sh!t there are some incredibly stupid people here. ALL ISP's recycle ALL THEIR IP's. Do you really thing ads are going to target IP's that are shared with literally EVERYONE. Use your head for a change. That's not how it works.