Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 2 weeks ago

A balloon containing helium is cooled down to 10°C. The balloon collapses because:?

1. As temperature decreases, pressure increases (an inverse relationship) but volume decreases (a direct relationship)

2. There are fewer molecules of helium at 10°C

3. The helium molecules shrink in size at 10°C, thus exhibiting non-ideal behavior

4. The velocity of the helium molecules increases, thus creating a corresponding decrease in volume

• Zirp

none of those

as the helium inside the balloon cools down, the helium-atoms slow down which DEcreases the pressure

Someone let go of it and at about 2000 feet up it pops and collapses.

• Henry

I think this was a different question than the one I answered. I don't remember reading this one yet.

All four of the given choices are flagrantly false.

None of them really.  As the temperature drops, both the pressure AND the volume will decrease, other variables being constant.  If you simply take 'As temperature decreases' and 'volume decreases (a direct relationship)', that is correct.