How should I handle this work issue?

I've been at my new advertising sales job for just a year now. I've always worked for large companies, this is a small , family owned company. Overall I like most of the job, wouldn't say I love it. But I don't hate coming to work.

However, because its a small company , and most of the people have been here for a long time, they treat me like the baby rookie here ( even though I'm 32 and have a lot of working experience in this industry).

I have to send management weekly progress reports of who I contact etc ( no one else has to do this). Also, our office hours are 8:45- 5:00 PM. If you come in after 9:00 you are considered late.

They give you a 15 minute grace period.

I've been coming in around 8:50-8:55.

I was told that I need be in by 8:40, 8:45 to show that I really appreciate the job. I was just confused because I said , I thought I wasn't late? They said you're technically not, but because your new you need to prove yourself here. The owner knows your the newbie and is watching you. I feel like I'm being treated like a child. Meanwhile all my numbers are up. My first year goal was 100,000 and I did 150,000 in sales.

Im very frustrated. How should I approach this? I really don't want to look for a new job but don't like being the new kid who is micro managed.

Favorite Answer

Showing up 10 minutes earlier seems like the easiest way to handle it.  

• Scott

If office hours are 8:45 am to 5:00 pm, you'd better be there BEFORE 8:45.

On your next discussion about contacts...bring up the fact that you exceeded your prior sales goal and perhaps less strict oversight might be beneficial.  

You comply with your employer's requests or you find a new job.   There is no magical answer here.

Why are you coming in at 8:50-8:55 when you're supposed to be there at 8:45?   You ARE late even if there is a grace period.   A grace period is the period of time AFTER the deadline during which no punishment is assessed.   It doesn't mean you're not late.

Instead of just showing up ten minutes earlier to be ON TIME, millennial snowflake picks a stupid semantic argument with the boss and then whines about being treated like a child.  

Pfft.  

• Casey Y

The newbie...has to show up early to earn that grace period from their co-workers...  Sure, management grants it, but if your co-workers all put in their 845 days for years, you need to do the same.