someone on youtube announced they think they have been shadowbanned, what does that mean?

i'm subscribed to a ufo enthusiast on youtube who uploads videos about ufos, conspiracies, philosophical subjects etc and he attends ufo conferences...he announced before in a video upload that he thinks he has been shadowbanned, but i'm not familiar with that on youtube and want to know what it means?

and how can you avoid being shadowbanned? and how do you know you have been shadowbanned?

i'm just a small youtube channel with a handful of uploaded videos, with just 17 subscribers.

can anyone advise me? or just answer these questions i have?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

It means nothing since there is no such thing as "shadow banning.".

• 2 weeks ago

Basically it means a user has been semi-banned. Like not completely obliterated but maybe half-muted from communities. Generally it is used against users with significant social media traction (lots of likes and comments on their posts) that are relatively popular and can be especially damaging to the rising stars of social media apps.

Someone I know was shadowbanned on Tik Tok and the impact it had was that their content wasn't on the For You page anymore which basically means it's now no longer immediately available for other users to see when they open the app.

Long story short, their privileges are limited and they're no longer recommended or promoted by the social media platform. The only way is down for them.

• Lujk
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago

shadowban - users content wont be seen by nonfollower

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.