Is it OK to hang a 25 pound light fixture from a junction box cover?  If not, which code or standard prevents?

• 4 days ago

It's in the name, junction boxes are designed for wires to meet not for weight to be suspended from CODE common sense

No, you wouldn't hang anything from a box COVER unless that cover were specifically "listed for the purpose".  Many ceiling lamps, for instance, include their own cover as part of the fixture and it is screwed to the lighting outlet box itself.

Depends partly upon what KIND of light fixture. Is it a swag lamp? Pull-chain luminaire base? Why would it be a "junction box" and not a lighting outlet box? If you tell us more about what you're trying to do, maybe we can give more specific information.

Where are you? The National Electrical Code (USA) says in 314.27 the limit for light fixtures hanging from box screws is 50lbs. It also requires the light fixture be installed according to the installation instructions, which are part of the UL listing. If it specifies separate support then that overrides the general rule.

(Paddle fans have separate requirements.)

• Brad3 weeks agoReport

Helps with code requirement, but still does not answer question about hanging from junction box COVER.  Thanks much!

No. You need an anchor into the framing.

Source(s): The standard of common sense.

what i suggest is making your own custom hanger up in the attic. Mine consists of paired 2x4s atop the ceiling joists with a pair of 3.5 inch wood screws through the electrical box and solidly into the wood. From that, I hang my ceiling fans. Such a hidden fixture will support a 25 pound light fixture almost literally for the life of the house [as long as you conduct annual termite inspections and get termite treatment as needed.]

Source(s): grampa

Does the light fixture have a cover that will mount to a junction box, or is it made for a hook? My guess is that whatever they gave you to attach the fixture is how they intended for you to do it. Of course your box should be steel, not plastic and screwed to solid wood, and not the light duty light fixture mounts. I think the 2 mounting screws would hold 25 lbs.

• elhigh

You need a box designed specifically for heavy fixtures. For a fixture that heavy, I wouldn't install such a weight on anything short of a ceiling fan box.

• y

I have no idea what code one would look at. There are many types of supports that can be added and most of them, have the load ratings somewhere.

Funny, I just remembered when I first moved into this house back in 99. A neighbor came over asking me to hang a chandelier for them. I picked it up, looked at where they wanted me to put it, and told them I won't do it. They told me it was all right, whomever told them it was fine. I still refused. They found someone else to do it, and a few days later, it came crashing down.