storing hand tools in storage unit trying to protect from moisture?

so I collect hand tools like ratchets, wrenches, drivers, sockets, etc and ive been keeping them in a climate controlled storage unit in plastic tool boxes that I wrap in plastic sheeting, is this a good method for preserving them and protecting from moisture. Id say they are practically sealed in the plastic tool boxes

• james

A spray of W-D-40 & then a cloth with dry rice wrapped in it is the way to go down here in the tropics. Keep the rice away from the oil. 

Is mositure being sealed in? Put a light coat of engine oil on them before storing.

• GTB

Unless you also put in desiccant packs, no this is not good

I store my tools in a cellar as I have nowhere else - all built in the days before damp proofing was even thought of. The secret is good ventilation so I am not a fan of plastic. A little light oiling keeps rust at bay.

they'll be fine for your lifetime in that, yes

Nope. Unless you live in the desert. Wrapping something in plastic will trap moisture that gets in from the cold, rainy days and that will cause them to rust. The only way is a good dose of oil and wrap them in an oily cloth. They will stay clean for years that way.

• elhigh

Unless they're designed specifically to seal out moisture, any box, no matter what it's made of, isn't going to protect your tools from rust.

The answer recommending spritzing a little WD40 on your tools isn't bad, but sometimes you can't really do that - you don't want oily tools for woodworking, for instance.

I recommend a split approach.  For those tools that it doesn't matter, the WD40 is probably your best bet.  For tools that need to be kept as oil-free as possible, look into getting Pelican cases or similar - look for latching boxes that specify that they are watertight - and stash your most moisture-sensitive tools in there.  Also consider adding a package of moisture-locking material like Damprid or Container Dri.  Such approaches are more expensive than the WD40 solution, which is why I recommend you hold it in reserve for only your most sensitive items.

Good luck with it.

• Earleen
      2 weeks agoReport

You can wash the oil off the tools when you decide to use them

Spray them with WD40.

I'd store them in vented storage boxes or cardboard boxes.

The storage unit is climate controlled.  

Locking moisture into those boxes is what you're trying to avoid. 

• sds2 weeks agoReport

I put one of those moisture absorbers in the unit and it fills with water pretty fast 

• Kieth

Wrap them in oiled paper, plastic can retsin moisture. You can then put them in plastic boxes. The paper need only be wiped with oil, not soaked.