Can my landlord dictate how much I can travel in and out of my rental as long as the rent is paid?

Travel in and out of the rental?  What the heck is that?  We travel in and out of our homes every day, to go to work, buy groceries, etc.  I suggest you reword your question so that you don't sound like some sort of an idiot.

• Judy

no................................................

I don't see why that's any of their business. But refer to your written lease agreement. If your landlord is also a room mate or lives in the same property that might be a different scenario if you are some how disturbing their own 'quiet enjoyment' of their property.

For example; If you live in an upstairs garage apartment attached to the landlords residence and you have a written agreement detailing some sort of quiet time or curfew. Then you could have a problem.

Another example could be if you live in a property behind your landlord and their is a shared driveway that goes to your rental unit past the landlords home. They might wish to spell out how much you go in and out of the property. A vehicle coming and going all hours of the night is likely going to drive anyone up the wall.

So yes. In the above scenarios where it is spelled out in a contract and signed off by both parties they can control the traffic to a point. I would try and avoid scenarios like the ones above unless you are just getting a killer deal on rent and saving tons of cash.

• SimplytheFACTS
      2 weeks agoReport

nonsense, there cannot be a curfew in any type of lease....unless its something like a halfway house

Are you talking about extended travel or more like too much in and out in a given day?  If traveling and there is an issue (pipe leak), yeah, the LL could have a problem with this.  

• Casey Y
      2 weeks agoReport

That isnt what happened here, perhaps explain this to your LL at length and they may understand. 

of course not.........

if you are away for extended periods, he could require you to notify him and allow weekly inspections if you are gone more than that..or require you to have someone check on the place at least  once per week.

You mean come and go? That is beyond the control of your landlord UNLESS terms were written into the lease.

• Brian

Read your lease agreement.

No.

However, you may find yourself in violation of your lease if you are gone for long periods of time and as a result:

1)  Fail to promptly report a maintenance issue; or

2)  Fail to maintain the lawn (if required)

If you leave town for six weeks and there's a leak that does a lot of damage in those six weeks because you didn't report it or the pipes burst because you left the heat off during a January cold snap...you see where I'm going with this?

• Lolly

No, it is a free country, last time I checked.

No, I don't think so