Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 3 weeks ago

Why can't you hunt with FMJ rounds?

They penetrate to the vital organs.Thay are exactly the same as a hollow point or a ballistic tip does so why can't you hunt with them.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You can - it is just not smart.

FMJ is designed for war.  In battle you do not want to kill your enemy.  Killing just removes one soldier from the battle.  You want to use FMJ and wound - because wounding a soldier removes 3 combatants from the battle - the hurt soldier and the two that carry him back for medical attention.

FMJ is going to pass through an animal like a laser beam.  No expansion.  No hydrostatic stock.  Using FMJ you have a 90% chance the animal is going to run, and run hard after you hit it - if it does not get away from you.....It's about guaranteed to run and die some place that will make your life a living nightmare to retrieve the meat.

In my state, once you wound a big game animal - it is yours.  If it runs for 7 miles into the most horrible area you are expected to be right behind it.

A friend of mine muffed a shot on a moose.  It ran miles into a gully.  The first 3 days he was packing out meat.  The next three days he was packing out spoiled meat and tossing it into a dumpster.  He now spends allot more time at the range, and, is a lot more particular about where he hits an animal.  Using FMJ - you need totally excellent shot placement to get a one shot clean kill...……. you don't want to spend 6 days packing meat and then rancid meat out.

You need not take my word for this.  Go to your local newspaper - the usually sell bundles for $.50 each.  Get 4, lay them down in a row and water them good - then send a FMJ into it and look at the damage - then fire a regular hunting softpoint or nylon BT and you will understand.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If the hunting regulations where you live permit it, you can hunt with FMJ rounds.  However, they are NOT the same as hollow point and ballistic tip  bullets.

• Richard
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Sadly where I live FMJ cartridges are legal to hunt with. I discourage all I can to not use FMJ.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The Three Stooges (Adam D, daniel g and USAFisnumber1) continue to

answer with asinine  answers and they have no value to anyone except

to give two points to their score.  I was hoping they would possibly take

the advice of better players and take a break and regroup and start over

with correct and helpful answers like the majority try to do on the Sports

category  but I was wrong again. They just want to destroy the category 

with their answers. Maybe when the Sports section goes away they will

wish they had listened and tried to be a valued player.

daniel g please just look at your answers. I don't need credibility because

I an not the only one  that  think you are a idiot and a moron.

Source(s): EDIT: daniel g why don't you just look at your TD's compared to others and I promise I have never given you a TD but deserve a lot. Do you really consider your answers or do you just write answers without thinking?
    • daniel g
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

You are going to need a lot more credibility if you intend to insult someone.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

FMJ is a needle. Soft point is a fist.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The issue is not penetration, it is over penetration. These don't expand or mushroom and often may just make a small hole trough a game animal, minimal energy is transferred to the target. IE: that underrated .380 ACP FMJ may go completely through a human torso. Then the matter of knowing where the projectile will stop. (the torso behind that?)

Hollow point are a better round, often expanding to double the initial caliber on impact.

This imparts most or all of the energy to the target, creates a much larger injury.

Not a true hunters choice as it destroys a lot of good meat.

Best game rounds are the soft point that mushroom to a degree with more penetration and kill power,less destruction, and humane kill.

NO, bullets are NOT created equal, usually engineered for a given task.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It's believed that hollow point/soft point is more humane in hunting....yet hollow point is outlawed in war, because they say it's not humane on humans. Hollow points transfer more energy to the animal, knocking them down faster and creating more shock. Standard bullets zip through the animal, with less energy transfer. Standard will kill if accurately placed on a kill spot. But if you're off slightly, the game will run off and die a slow death. As stated in the comments, soft point is considered the best in hunting normal game, while specialty ammo is required for big game with thick hides.

• falconry2
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Most hollow point ammo in game calibers (non-varmint 243 and above) specifically warn to NOT use them for hunting, read the side of the ammo boxes. There is a reason most of the hunters I know reload and use premium ammo or buy better loads like Federal Fusion or Bonded Bear Claw.

• 3 weeks ago

Guns are very dangerous and will be banned in December 1st.

Seizing will be December 2nd-23rd. Get good Christmas gifts this year! iPhone 11 Pro Max, AirPods Pro, 4K TV, Mac, and so much more!

• Darby
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Thumbed down for IMPERSONATION - Gary the idiot troll has once again hijacked another user's avatar and screen name and is using it to post his moronic BS.

• 3 weeks ago

FMJ Terminal ballistics are not exactly the same as hunting rounds.  A hunting round will expand creating a bigger wound channel expending more energy causing more damage to the vital organs. Penetration isn't the issue, but over-penetration is.  FMJ can mean a smaller wound channel and if the round passes through there is a waste of kinetic energy. 

You use expanding hunting ammo for exactly the same reason that you would use expanding ammo for defense.  You want to stop your target as quickly as possible. For hunting it is to be more humane, for defense it is to stop a threat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.