asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 weeks ago

how do people determine that they have "allergies"? like a "nut allergy"? is this just due to doctors telling them that?

like this seems like a modern thing , isnt it? I dont think people that grew up in the 1960s or 70s really took medication for "allergies" did they?

what think of parents that seem to always take their kids to the doctor and strangely it turns out that their kids of "allergies" and have to take medication for it and avoid things like PEANUTS, etc? is this just $$ related and the parents are morons and the doctors are crooked? how turned out this way?

Update:

like what happens? they suddenly dont feel good after eating some peanuts and get rushed to the emergency room? what if just "tough it out" and get over making your body strengthen its immune system!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Today, many grew up with their parents telling them they have an allergy or a tolerance issue to something, so that is what they believe.

Allergy and tolerance issue have increased significantly from the 70's and 80's. We now know many of today's food allergies were do to the avoidance guidelines put in place from the late 80's, early 90's on. Peanuts are number one on that list.

There are also things like respiratory issues, asthma and such, that have also steadily increased.  Strange thing is, air quality across the country has also greatly increased during this time period. As well as thing like second hand smoke exposure and such. So there must be something else we are missing. Some say it is the food, the food supply and such. Could very well be. I also believe the increased radio and microwaves that we now swim in. Must also play a role.  We evolved in a certain gravity field, with certain magnetic, radio, and microwaves already part of the enviroment. We know altering any and all of them can impact wildlife, especially migratory animals. We know altering gravity changes us, so why wouldn't increasing the other fields around us, mess with us?

• 2 weeks agoReport

they might as well ask you ...how much money you got on you?  i will find whatever i can for ____ amount of $ ! 

• 2 weeks ago

Allergies are a real thing. The body treats the particular item as a danger like a germ. It's like your body is racist, all peanuts are going to shoot us and take our women, so we need to shoot them first!

However, alot of pop culture has lead people to self-diagnose in unscientific ways. They cut out dairy for a week and have a nervous tummy before a first date the day after reintroducing dairy so therefore diary is bad for ya'. right...?

The one whole truth as we do know it legitimately in science today is plants don't like us eating them. It's not an allergy but the plant attacks us chemically. An example is that fresh cut grass smell is a cry for help. The chemical released is toxic to some bugs who try to eat grass. Kale gives us gout and hot peppers are supposed to keep us from crushing the seeds with our molars. Birds however swallow and poop them out, benefiting the pepper plant.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Food allergies are very real. People with food allergies can get hives, swelling (including swelling of the throat which can kill), abdominal pain, diarrhea etc. Peanuts are a common one that can actually kill people. 

I don't think people take medications for food allergies. They just avoid those foods. Allergy meds are for things like seasonal allergies or allergies to dogs or cats. 

When people "tough it out" they can die. A lot of food allergies are serious. And even if its not deadly like maybe someone gets hives, they will not stop getting hives if they keep eating that food. In fact their allergies can become worse.  

People determine allergies by testing or there are people like me who get violently ill when they eat certain foods (for me its shellfish) so we just avoid those foods. I don't care to get tested because I ain't that interested in eating shellfish and even if I wasn't allergic I might be too scared to eat it anyway. I got like, really really sick. It was no fun at all. 

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Well, when my niece eats anything with egg in it, she goes bright red all over, itches, gets a rash, starts feeling really sick and unless we inject her with her Epipen immediately, we have to get her to a hospital fast because her throat swells up and she would stop breathing.

It's not a matter of 'not feeling good' - it's a matter of life and death for many people.

Some kids can die if they eat something with just a hint of a nut.

• 2 weeks agoReport

"BIBLE THUMPER" SHOULD HAVE BEEN JASON ALDEANS NEXT SONG!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

before the 1900s, people didn't use a lot of synthetic medication. instead they used only herbs (which is where synthetic medication comes from in the first place). 90% of pharmaceutical ads I see say that the medication they're advertising can lower your immune system as soon as you take it

• 2 weeks ago

Just because it's a modern thing doesn't mean it's not real. There are things going on in our modern times that are negatively affecting our health that weren't there before. The incidence of disease and all kinds of chronic health problems is much higher than it used to be.

• 2 weeks ago

You have an allergic reaction.  They can be anything from a rash to hives to swelling to anaphylactic shock.  There's a reason people carry epipens as severe reactions are life-threatening.  Imagine having your throat swell from eating nuts and then you can no longer breathe.  Yeah, it's that bad.

Allergy tests are pretty easy to do.  They take allergens and rub it against the skin and see if the body reacts.

"Toughing it out" doesn't work because allergic reactions increase in severity every time you have one. However minor allergies like pollen can usually be mitigated without any medicine.

• 2 weeks ago

For people suspecting food allergies there is a battery of tests one can take to determine that.  A positive reaction confirms an allergy.  Back in the day we had a lot less "better living through chemistry.   LOL

• Alvin Colmes
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Simple distillation of my last sentence is that modern society has, to some people, overwhelmed their immune systems.  LOL

• 2 weeks ago

Allergy testing is simple . A microscopic sampling of a suspected allergen is stuck into the skin and the presence or absence of an allergic reaction is noted . 

Severe allergic reactions can lead to life threatening anaphylaxis .

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Having an allergic reaction is how one figures out they have an allergy.    Blood can also be tested, but that’s less reliable.  

• 2 weeks agoReport

i bet you would like to know ? whoah...you are like a kid in mentality

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.