Sister in law imposes guilt trips to get me to do things, what would you say or do?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you have a bossy sister-in-law who feels she's superior to you. Defy her and she'll cower into a corner.

• something fishy
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Oh we are not a close family and she insists I support my brother when hes having difficult times. While I've had issues and no one was their for me.
      Linda that's funny....tell her you are going on a cruise ALONE

• 2 weeks ago

Guilt trips are like playing ball. If you catch the ball, then you end up with the guilt. You believe whatever they tell you and you act on it.

Stop catching the ball. Stop believing what they say and taking it for true.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to. "no" is a whole sentence.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

I don’t understand why in-laws try to pull everyone else into their drama. Just don’t pay attention to her. It’s hard I know bc  i have to deal with my husbands controlling sister. Ignoring her seems to be the best thing. Just don’t engage when she try’s to guilt trip you. 

• 2 weeks ago

Tell her naw to the aww to no no no, boom problem solved! 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

just tell her you cant do it

• 2 weeks ago

don't fall for them. refuse to be guilted, refuse to do things for her.

• 2 weeks ago

Tell her she married him, that's her job now.  Then tell her to bugger off.

• mom
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

tell her that you are busy and can not do it. 

• something fishy
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

That's beautiful what about when she says I should support my brother? & he's never their for my issues

• Linda
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

If you don't want to do something just say no and be firm about it. I sense you haven't always been and she knows she can take advantage of you. If you set boundaries with her she will eventually back off.

• something fishy
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

All she says I should be their to support my brother and he's never there to support me.

• 2 weeks ago

Stop allowing her to, you allow her to guilt you, just STOP.  Easier said than done though.

• Satan
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It all depends on what she guilt trips you with

I wouldnt put up with it and explain that it was solely because of the attempt at guilt tripping

• Linda
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

I have a daughter in law like that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.