Sister in law imposes guilt trips to get me to do things, what would you say or do?

• martin
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you have a bossy sister-in-law who feels she's superior to you. Defy her and she'll cower into a corner.

• something fishy
      2 weeks agoReport

Oh we are not a close family and she insists I support my brother when hes having difficult times. While I've had issues and no one was their for me.
      Linda that's funny....tell her you are going on a cruise ALONE

Guilt trips are like playing ball. If you catch the ball, then you end up with the guilt. You believe whatever they tell you and you act on it.

Stop catching the ball. Stop believing what they say and taking it for true.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to. "no" is a whole sentence.

I don’t understand why in-laws try to pull everyone else into their drama. Just don’t pay attention to her. It’s hard I know bc  i have to deal with my husbands controlling sister. Ignoring her seems to be the best thing. Just don’t engage when she try’s to guilt trip you. 

Tell her naw to the aww to no no no, boom problem solved! 

just tell her you cant do it

don't fall for them. refuse to be guilted, refuse to do things for her.

Tell her she married him, that's her job now.  Then tell her to bugger off.

• mom

tell her that you are busy and can not do it. 

• something fishy
      2 weeks agoReport

That's beautiful what about when she says I should support my brother? & he's never their for my issues

• Linda

If you don't want to do something just say no and be firm about it. I sense you haven't always been and she knows she can take advantage of you. If you set boundaries with her she will eventually back off.

• something fishy
      2 weeks agoReport

All she says I should be their to support my brother and he's never there to support me.

Stop allowing her to, you allow her to guilt you, just STOP.  Easier said than done though.

• Satan

It all depends on what she guilt trips you with

I wouldnt put up with it and explain that it was solely because of the attempt at guilt tripping

• Linda
      2 weeks agoReport

I have a daughter in law like that.