My family is depending on me to cook thanksgiving dinner but I’m not sure how?

This is the first year I have to do this and need some help with dishes. (What to make)

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Depending on how many people you have, buy a turkey that will allow for a pound of turkey meat per person.  A ham is easier to deal with, and you can just pop that in the oven.  A turkey will require thawing it in the refrigerator for several days, and then preparing it to roast.  Look online for recipes on how to do it.  If you've never made dressing (stuffing), buy Stove Top stuffing and follow the directions.  You can buy bottled turkey gravy.  Get at least one can of cranberry sauce.  That completes the meat part of the meal.  Usual side dishes are green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, maybe sweet potatoes, and hot rolls.  Buy Sister Shubert's frozen rolls and follow the directions.  You can look online and get recipes for each of these dishes.

• 2 weeks ago

If you are getting a frozen turkey, do it like today or tomorrow, then get it into the refrigerator. People forget that it takes days for a turkey to thaw, then they try to rush it. On Thanksgiving, take it out of 'fridge, pull the giblet bag out, put in a baking pan and cover with foil. Just roast it at 325 for about 20 mins per lb, then at the end pull off foil and crank oven up to 450 for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting it up. Simple sides can be mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli, gravy and dressing. Look up recipes online.Don't put the dressing in the turkey, just bake it separately. Hey, don't forget the pumpkin pie and whipped cream...

• 2 weeks ago

make a turkey..........do up some potatoes (either roast the potatoes, or make mashed potatoes, or scallop potatoes..) some veggies*...........salad........some bread.......Ur good to go :)

• 2 weeks ago

The standard meal consisted of turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, or broccoli, cranberry sauce. Thaw the turkey ( figure 5 Oz per person for purchase, unless you want a lot leftover) 4 days in advance in your refrigerator. Rinse the cavity early in the morning, removing the giblets and sprinkling the cavity with salt. Pour melted butter over the top, after placing it in a roasting pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika, add an inch of water to the pan, and place it in a preheated 325 F oven.

Rinse the giblets, neck,heart, and liver, cover with water, salt, cover and cook in low until tender then dice when cool, pulling the meat from the neck bone too. You can prep this and the turkey in the roasting pan the night before. Save the broth.

Dressing is made using toasted buttered bread, chopped into cubes, adding diced sautéed onions (cooked until clear), and diced celery. Add the vegs to the cubed toast, pour enough broth on top to combine, add 1/2 tsp each of salt, sage, parsley, rosemary, and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Place in a greased pan and cover, adding this to the oven an hour before the turkey is ready (figure 20 mins per pound for the turkey, and let it set 15 mins after its done before carving.)

Sweet potatoes can be peeled and precooked the night before, chopping them, or cooking them in the skins and removing them after cooking).

Broccoli and be washed, with discolored ends sliced, then slicing it lengthwise into long strips, then in half. This too can be prepped in advance or purchased frozen broccoli can be used following package instructions.

After the turkey has been roasting for two hours, peel potatoes, cut into chunks, cover with water, add a dash of salt, cover and cook until done. Strain, beat with a mixer, adding a blob of butter, salt and pepper, and a bit of milk for creaminess. These can be held covered.

Green beans can be purchased frozen, and prepared per package instructions.

Can of cranberry: puncture the opposite end of the can you’re opening, to reduce pressure and free it when you’re opening the other end. Slide it out and slice it.

Remove most of the broth from the turkey pan, and if the fat has separated, remove some of it. In a saucepan, combine equal amounts of butter and flour (1/2 c butter and flour), cook in low until a thick ball forms, and slowly add 3 c broth, salt and pepper to taste.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Bake a winter squash ahead of time, scoop it from the shell, add a little brown sugar if it doesn't taste sweet enough, add a little butter if you want. This refrigerates well for several days and you can reheat it in the microwave while the cooked bird is resting and you're making gravy.

• CB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Heat up some cans of chicken noodle soup, make a salad, and buy french bread, call it a day. Your family will not be depending on you to prepare T-giving dinner next year.

• 3 weeks ago

Why on earth would you be expected to make the whole thing as a new cook? That's just mean. You're supposed to practice with side dishes for a few years first!

The good news is, most of the stuff for Thanksgiving is actually very simple to make once you get the hang of it. I am a recent convert to the turkey bag (it's a bag you bake your turkey in to keep it moist and I swear it works wonders).

The thanksgiving essentials are usually

Turkey, mashed potatos with gravy, yams, green bean casserole, stuffing or dressing (stuffing is cooked in the bird ,dont make that as it's the number one cause of food poisoning on Thanksgiving), cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Some people have their own traditional foods they serve as well.

Google some recipes and good luck

• audrey
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Turkey or chicken. Real mashed potatoes. Stuffing. Rolls. Mac and cheese. Cake. Pumpkin pie. Oops! Forgot the gravy.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I got a crazy idea. How about a grilled turkey?

• Satan
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have a receipe for steamed Hams if you'd like

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.