Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 weeks ago

What does it take to male it through marine bootcamp?

I never even really though about joining the marines. I guess it's because I was just talking to a friend who was in the marines. Anyway, I had a dream I was going off to bootcamp in my current physical condition. I eat like crap, out of breath most of the time. Can MAYBE do 20 pushups if I really push myself. I could maybe run a mile until I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack, and I'm basing all of this off a dew months ago. I may be much worse off now. Anyway, what does it take to get through bootcamp? How many pushups does one need to be able to do without stopping. How long must you run in a certain amount of time?

• TedEx

guts and determination...….

Still writing fairy tales I see.

What does it take to male it through bootcamp?  Usually sufficient postage (or plenty of $1 dollar bills for the ol' g-string if that wasn't a typo) but WHOA-HO-HO!!  20 pushups?!?  In a row?!?  You're in much better shape than I am right now.  I can't even do one.  I have little atrophied toothpick arms.

If you are accepted to join the Marines in the first place, then it does not take much for you to graduate from boot camp. The DI's will try to push you through whether you actually deserved to graduate or not, unfortunately (It is almost like the No Child Left Behind Program). 

The attrition rate for USMC Boot Camp is about 11-14% (same with Army & USN). 

just show up-- pretty much everyone graduates boot

Your first worry should be the ASVAB test.

• Kieth

You have to be tough mentally, your body will follow. If you are obese, they probably won't take you, but if not, they will condition you. It doesn't matter how far you can run or how many push ups you can do, because they will push you to improve what you already can do. They will break down the squishy civilian that you are abd build up a trained killer. You don't have to survive the whole camp, you just have to survive to the next day. The Corp isn't what it used to be, but it's still tough. Survive, and the chicks will be on you like skin on a grape.

that is what bootcamp is for.

Drill Sergeants will deliver many commands to you in a short time period. Naval Sea Cadets, JROTC or Civil Air Patrol can help if you are in high school. Also, when you first meet your Drill Sergeants, there will be a lot of activity around you. Some recruits will be doing push-ups and others will be running in place. Make sure you are only listening to your Drill Sergeant and not other recruits. Some recruits pretend like they know what the Drill Sergeant wants and will command other recruits to follow them. Do not listen to them, only listen to your Drill Sergeant. If your Drill Sergeant asks your rank, don’t whisper your rank. Instead, take a quick deep breath and let your answer "explode". Drill Sergeants like motivation and confidence; it exemplifies a person’s strength.  Drill Sergeants are going to give you tasks that are designed for you to fail. When you fail, you feel broken, and when you feel broken, they are able to build you up again. Essentially they are breaking down your civilian attitude and building you into a soldier. That doesn’t come easy, at least in the U.S military. Even if you're facing the ground about to accomplish what seems to be your 500th push-up, continue on and sound motivated. If you are about to leave for basic training, all of this advice might scare you- do not let that happen. Boot camp/basic training is a jarring experience, but not a long one. Completing your basic training will fill you with a well-deserved sense of accomplishment. Never attempt to try on a Drill Sergeants hat. This should be blatantly obvious. You don't want the punishment you would have coming to you, no matter how fun it looks.

• Liz

I had a boyfriend who joined the Marines. He couldn't take boot camp and ran away. Of course, he was soon discharged. LOL I imagine things may be much more regimented these days. I'm sure you can find something on You Tube.