Big Mama asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

Would it be ethical to genetically engineer humans so they're less evil?

There's a good number of personality traits in humans that were probably selected for in our ape-like ancestors because they were adaptive back then.

However, personality traits like competitiveness, violence, envy and manipulation aren't perhaps beneficial to our species anymore because there's plenty of food and resources available for every person (at least theoretically...).

Since some personality traits are inherited (there's a strong genetic component linked to them) some psychiatrists have proposed to design a treatment to alter brain chemicals that act in certain brain areas potentially linked to negative traits (for example, lack of empathy and remorse in psychopaths, remembering past traumatic events...).

Do you think this would be ethical and feasible in the future? Would you undergo these treatments if they were safe?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

You are making the assumption that such traits can be tracked down with specificity. Many traits have mixed applications. I do believe that bio-chemical and genetic enhancements will become available. One of the big ethical questions will be just how available and accessible are they? If only the wealthy and well-connected can access cognitive enhancements (for example), what does that say about creating a caste system based on technology access? Is that not evil in itself? Technology may also be used to address mental and physiological health issues perhaps before birth. If the genetic compounds which cause bipolar disorder or diabetes could be turned off before onset, the quality of a person's life might be greatly improved. 

• 3 weeks ago

They're already doing that, for intelligence and aggression and looks and gender and to avoid diseases..

• 3 weeks ago

evil isn't a real thing. humans are humans

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

1 there's no indication whatsoever that "evil" is genetic

2 genetic engineering requires IVF, which requires the mother to undergo a horrible hormone-treatment. No way I'd be sadistic enough to make my significant other do that

3 the problem is that we live in a sick system called capitalism. It's also the cause of hunger. Genetic engineering is a false solution pushed by those who make money by genetic engineering.

4 If you understand genetics, you know why eugenics - including the "lebensborn-program of the nazis - will always fail

summed up: no, it will not be feasible nor ethical

• Big Mama
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

There are already pills to treat depression, anxiety and a good number of mental illnesses. Why couldn't the same be done for traits that predispose people to hurt others?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Liz
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

No need for genetic engineering. People just need to change their mind set. Jesus identified the principal reason for the existence of evil. Addressing the religious leaders who were intent on killing him, he said: “You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a manslayer when he began.” (John 8:44) It was Satan who for selfish reasons enticed Adam and Eve into rebelling against God. That rebellion introduced sin—and thus death—to all mankind. But James 1:14, 15 also explains that But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn sin, when it has been carried out, brings forth death." A thief isn't born a thief; he becomes on when he decides to carry out an act of theft. If evil is to be permanently eliminated from human society, man’s inborn inclination toward badness, his lack of accurate knowledge, and Satan’s influence must be addressed. 

Source(s): jw.org
    • Big Mama
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

"People just need to change their mind set"

Some people don't care about morals and hurting others. What's even more, some of them, the sadistic ones, get a lot of pleasure from it.

• 3 weeks ago

Evil is not a genetic trait, it is the result of external influence. nobody is born evil their upbringing, social and economic circumstances are the decision makers

• Big Mama
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Evil = the group of traits that make up the dark triad or tetrad: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_triadThey're more prevalent in some individuals than in others.

• 3 weeks ago

Genetic modification will lead to the question being asked, what does it mean to be human? Not only will we be advancing in genetics but in combining technology with our bodies and minds. This will lead to two different classes of people. Those in power will remain in power.  How can average people compete physically or intellectually? (As I write this I think about the Anunnaki and how in time those at the top could be viewed as deities.)

• In the future there will be more people having "designer babies". So yes, I think since it will be normal, it will be ethical. I am all for eugenics, just not enforced by some central government. Freedom to choose what your progeny is like, will be common in the future. I would, as of right now take genetic alterations to improve my mental deficits. And if I was planning on having children, and designer babies where made available, I would choose that route as well.

• 3 weeks ago

I would bet it will be tried at some point. Anything but look at emotion in its own right. MUST be physical / genetic / due to the weather / something. But never never never due to emotional nourishment or the lack of it.

• Frank
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

You are such an idiot. Do you understand what happened during the middle 20th century? The process you’re describing is called eugenics. You know the sort of thing the Nazis wanted to do.

• Big Mama
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Have you read the question beyond the title, or are you too idiot to do it? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.