How do you refuse taking someone else's picture without appearing rude?

I live in a city that attracts a lot of tourists and occasionally they ask me to take a picture.

I don't feel comfortable holding a stranger's device or doing a poor job and I have tried saying things like "I'm in a hurry", "I'm terrible at it", putting my hands in my pocket and ignoring it, or carrying stuff so my hands look full

Still I can see their bemused faces and even thinking. Only once the person smiled and said "don't worry, I will ask someone else".

Favorite Answer

Tuck your hands into your sleeves and say you’d love to but you have no hands. Seriously though, just say you’re terrible at taking pictures and they’re probably better off asking someone else

• Linda

Just say I'm sorry, I would but I can't.

I live in a large city as well and no one ever asks to take a photo. Just take the photo or two quickly and then go. It doesn't matter if it's good or not. If they don't like it, let them ask someone else. And if it still bothers you that much, then take the camera with you.

Make crazy hand gestures pointing at your head and mouth then stare at the ground and start barking like a dog.  Then start hopping away from  them like a bunny while yelling “Yippee Kai-Yay!”

I just tell them that I can't do it well.