Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

Is it "dangerous" to speak spanish in USA?

As a spaniard (from Spain) who has never been in America, I would like to know wether talking spanish in public places in the US is "dangerous".

6 Answers

Relevance
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Once in a while some ignorant person will take offense that you are not speaking English and give you a hard time. If you have the guts, tell her she has to speak Spanish when she comes to Spain. And to shut up.

For the most part we expect some people tp speak Spanish.

• 2 weeks ago

You never know what kind of people you could encounter.. My family and I speak spanish but we abstain from speaking spanish in public places. There are way too many videos on youtube of "superior white americans' harassing people for speaking spanish in public places..  Just go to youtube and type "harassment for speaking spanish  " .. Now, most people mind their own business... most people aren't nosy people trying to overhear other people's conversations..I also suspect that most americans are aware that the original inhabitants of this country didn't speak english but the british and their descendents refused to learn the original inhabitants' dialects and instead imposed their language.. So again, most people won't harass you for speaking spanish but you never know what kind of people you're going to encounter... so maybe you should abstain from speaking spanish in public places.

God bless you.

• 2 weeks ago

Are u serious with this?  What a racist question!  

• finc2 weeks agoReport

why is that a racist question? first of all, most likely he is a white person... so you can't accuse him of "racism against superior white race"... Second, there are lots of videos on youtube of white americans getting mad when hearing people speak spanish in public places.

• 3 weeks ago

Mostly, no. There might be a few racists who judge you for it and in Arizona you could be profiled by cops but mostly it's treated by everyone as normal.

Hispanic people will hear your strange accent and might ask you about it. But it's just curiosity, you'll be fine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Not really, just make us nosy Americans look at you an wonder what your talking about.

• 3 weeks ago

I spoke my native language in the USA and no problem. I'm a native French person by the way.

• Brisco2 days agoReport

and suddenly a couple Mexican thugs walk by, or worse, a gang, and tries to start a fight with you. Yet there you sit so high-and-mighty. And actually you sound just like them, the way you talk. Wow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.