Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 3 weeks ago

Can eye doctor withhold 3 year expired glasses prescription ?

Your question simply makes no sense to me. Are you trying to ask if the doctor can withhold providing you glasses if all you have is a 3 year old prescription? He certainly can and in most cases will not accept such an old prescription. An eye prescription is not a forever thing. Your vision can change too much. If I was using glasses from a few years ago I would be lucky to see to walk across the room. Wise up and do things correctly. 

My policy is to write the prescription but mark it expired. Sometimes another doctor needs to know what your old prescription was to better serve you. I have to admit that it worked better when I knew that a live optician was going to look at your prescription before deciding to fill it. Since you can now order online whatever you want, I can see there being a reason to not give it out. I think that the law only requires us to give out current prescriptions.

• AndyF

In the USA there is a two year limit, even less if you have serious eye trouble. Get a new prescription as eyes change over time and you want the best eye care. 

• Sky

Why wouldn't the eye doctor just issue a new prescription if the current one is so old?