Decent pc on a budget?

If anyone could go out if there way to help me on this, it’d be much appreciated. For Christmas the only thing I want is a decent gaming pc whether it’s manufactured or if I have to build it, problem is I have no idea what’s good or how to build a computer. My budget is limited to $500 more or less. I’m not going to play the most detailed or heavy games in the world but I do want something that runs smooth without much hiccups. 

Everyone is telling me to build my own but I don’t know where to even start or what components would be good to use. I know I could educate myself but I have to get all of this thought out before Christmas, so help would be much appreciated. 

You can go to pcpartpciker and try to configure something for $500 but I am doubtful that you can. You typically need about $600-650 to configure just the tower.... and that's not counting the peripherals like the keyboard, monitor, etc. If you really know what you're doing, you can save about $50-75 on a budget build. The big savings you see and hear about with a custom build don't come into play unless you're building a high end PC. People look at those pre-built PC's and think they look like a good deal but they don't realize the motherboard has an h310 or a320 chipset, the PSU is something no one has ever heard of, and neither is the RAM.

With a $500 budget your best and possibly only bet is a 2nd hand PC. However you would need to know the value of the used parts before you venture off to buy something used. You see, the problem with dem here used parts is people like 'Billy Bob' who thinks their 8 year old gaming PC is worth $450-550, when it's really worth $300 on a good day.

On the upside, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming and there are always deals on hardware and prebuilt PC on those days. A few years ago I bought a Core i7-6800k on Black Friday for $300 when it normally retailed for $429.

You are going to have to learn, even if you buy a ready made computer, if it is to be used for gaming. It doesn't have to take long. I would begin by googling computer specs for the games you wish to play. Some games are highly demanding where others can be played on just about any computer. Once you know the specs, then you can begin to shop. Building your own computer is very rewarding and all of us had to "learn" to do our first build. You would be amazed at how easy it is. The main problem with building your own is if you hit a snag, whether it be a bad part you ordered or a snag in installing the operating system. Again, the more you do this, the less snags you have because you learn how to get around them. I probably built three or more computers before running into my first snag, but I would hate for you to hit a snag on your first go. $500 won't even buy certain video cards. If you are lucky, your games want need demanding specs and you will be able to find that computer in your budget.

• David

You will save little or no money by building it yourself and as you say you haven't given yourself enough time to learn. The only advantage is you have control over what components go into the computer.

For $500 you won't get a great gaming computer - you may be better looking at refurbs, open box, ex demo or overstock lines. All the major brands do them HP, Dell etc.

Google system computer builders in your area and see what they have to offer, look at the computer websites for overstock or end of line items

Buy a console, pleb.

• dnnd3 weeks agoReport

Already have two consoles, so no.