For a death penalty debate, what should I refute if the for side brings up child murders, etc? Also, how can I argue prison overpopulation?

• Kerri

Regardless of ones opinion concerning the death penalty, the major “against” fact is the fact that the death penalty is not a deterrent against crime since most on death row end up dying of natural causes or old age because of appeals. While it’s natural for a murdered victims family to want death penalty/execution, this is unlikely to bring the peace/closure they seek as their murdered family member will be no less murdered/dead. The reason our jails are overcrowded is due to the epic failure of the war on drugs, our countries Puritan religious mindset (drugs, alcohol, sex are bad etc), and the for profit system. Jails here are private businesses that make money for each inmate. The more inmates, the more profit so there’s no incentive to empty out overcrowded jails.

Prisons are overpopulated because a lot of people are there on non violent charges, 45.2% are there because of drug offenses.

Homicides, aggravated assaults and kidnapping are only 3.2%

The point is that child murderers are savages, and we want to show that we will never stoop to their level, and terminate THEIR pathetic lives.

• Tom V

Prison overpopulation? There are MILLIONS of people in prison. Do you think we really execute enough people to make a dent in that? We don't. Also, it costs MUCH MUCH more to execute someone than it does to simply keep them in prison for life, once you total up the legal costs. So the overpopulation thing is kind of dead on arrival. About child murderers? It all comes down to personal beliefs, I suppose. Some will argue an eye for an eye. Some will argue that two wrongs don't make a right. I suppose both arguments have merits. If you are religious, though, and you realize that mankind cannot agree, and that mankind can make horrible mistakes that can't be reversed, maybe don't kill anyone and leave the eventual fate up to God? Just sayin'.....

Prison overpopulation is not an issue.  VERY few people get the death penalty, so it wouldn't make much difference one way or the other.

The best argument against the death penalty is that it just doesn't 'work'.  It's never been shown to be an effective deterrent.  Plus it's way more expensive than the alternative, life without parole.  It's not punishment so much as it's vengeance.

"But what would you think if someone killed your mother?"  Well, I might think I wanted to kill him myself.  But that's just being emotional, that's not the answer.  It won't bring the victim back.  It won't help you feel 'closure'.  And there are better, cheaper ways to punish someone that work just as well.