Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Could I use this scheme to make some extra income?

A friend of mine got a second job a few months back delivering for our local newspaper.

He makes about $1,600 per month AFTER tax witholdings doing so, working about 2 hours between 3 and 5am, driving around his route, tossing the newspapers in customers driveway.

Not too bad except it's 7 days a week, 365 days a year with no benefits.

Well say that I landed a delivery route with them. Except I hire someone else to actually make the deliveries, paying them $800 per month in cash under the table.

Then I get my check for $1600 every month and make a profit of $800 per month myself, doing nothing.

It might be against policy and something that could get me fired, but still, could this work?

Afterall, how do they know who delivered the papers?

That depends of whether you are an employee or a contractor to the company. It would be totally acceptable if you are a contractor. As an employee it might not break any laws but certainly against company policy and you would pay taxes on the entire $1600 when you are only making $800.

The only reason it would not work is if you got caught and fired. You can bet the person doing the work for you is probably not dumb enough not to go find out what they could get if they just got he actual job.

What happens when your friend throws the newspaper and proceeds to break a window?  Are you willing to pay for this?

Sure you can. As long as you can

1/ find someone dumb enough to work for 800 a month when the job pays 1600 net.

2/ avoid the IRS. Paying "cash under the table" is illegal.

It is not ethical because the company that prints the paper is hiring YOU to make the deliveries and you will become an employer and have to withhold taxes from your employee.

• xyzzy

There is the problem of picking up the newspapers for delivery. You have to pick them up each day at 3 am and the company will notice if someone else shows up to get the papers.

Why would anyone take the job when they can just apply with the newspaper. 

Are you living in an imaginary world. Do people even subscribe to newspaper. Every newspaper has gone digital. I haven’t seen a newspaper vending machine in years.