What Kinds Of Memory Cards Are There For A Laptop Thats Run Out of Space?

Legion Lenovo Laptop. Windows 10.

Update:

Need More RAM.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Memory on a computer is RAM. You don't run out of it. You just have more or less. If less, you can always add by putting in more RAM sticks or replacing the ones already there with higher capacity.

What you are running out of is hard disk space. Although you can indeed use memory cards to store additional files, this is not recommended. Memory cards are not permanent storage devices. What you should do is either clean up your present hard drive (empty trash, delete unnecessary files, clear cache and temporary internet files), replace your current hard disk (physically which means you will have to reinstall all programs from scratch), add another hard disk to the existing one (so the new one is purely for storing files only) or use portable USB hard disks (that you can plug to the computer only when necessary).

• 3 weeks ago

Upgrade the ram. 4Gb will do well, 8Gb,,better.

If this is disc space, external hard drives are made for that.

Like me, I upgraded to 8Gb ram and a 1Tb cloned to the original.

3,,3Tb external HDD for backups.

• David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

go to the crucial memory site and enter your details, it will advise what amount of RAM you currently have and the maximum allowable

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info?cm_re=t...

• VP
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"Space" generally refers to disk space on a hard drive, whereas "Memory" refers to RAM (or memory cards in your lingo). 

So, which is it? Do you need a larger hard drive or do you need more RAM installed? 

Tell us the message you're getting and we can help you better.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Most laptops support SD cards. However, I don't really recommend using an SD card for storing files or for backup purposes. For those scenarios, it is better to use an external hard drive. They're much faster than SD cards and have more capacity. I bought a 4TB external drive for about $120 on Amazon a few years ago.

Alternatively, you can add a larger hard drive or SSD on your laptop. It seems you have a gaming laptop, right? What is the current storage config on that laptop? Most come with either a 1TB HDD or a 512 GB SSD+1TB HDD.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.