Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 weeks ago

How can I figure out why my 12 year old daughter hates 7th grade if she isn’t opening up to me as much as she did before?

My daughter claims that 7th grade is THE worst. In fact, this specific year has the most drama, immaturity and behavioural issues compared to any other age group. She hates it. This is my firstborn kid and I’m a first-time mother here.... I don’t really know what to do. I have no experience with this issue before. My daughter never felt this way about school during the previous years. 

• Foofa

Middle school factually IS "the worst". This is a time when half the kids are looking 20 and the rest still look like grader schoolers. This is when all the elementary school friends suddenly have new opportunities and they splinter off into the "jocks", the "nerds", the "alts" or whatever. This is most kids' first exposure to things like sex and drugs and the temptation to succumb to peer pressure is extreme. This is also the age when kids become aware enough to start worrying about school shootings, teachers' strikes and the like. All you can really do is keep the lines of communication open so you know if she's facing any real peril. These are tough years but you can do this, Mom.

talk to her teachers about it and find out whats going on

Your daughter is at a cross roads in her life, where she is no longer a little girl but not quite a woman yet! The pre-teen/early teen years, are where girls and guys are trying to find their identity in life, and also girls are awful for being catty at that age due to the hormones.

Also, at 12, your daughter is wanting to form her own identity which means she isn't as close with you when she was say 6/7/8 years old. It doesn't mean she hates you, but it means she's a bit more distant then what she was from a few years ago.

I think all things considered, she is open to you, she has told you she doesn't like school, and is struggling with the theatrics outside of the classroom! I think you can use your own experiences in school at that age to help her, if you really think about it, your experiences aren't much different than hers, outside of there being no internet when you were her age.

There really isn't much you can do here to be honest, she needs to go through these experiences, and you can't shelter her from them at all, as much as you may want to, its' impossible. All you can do is listen to what she is saying, and without passing judgement, offer up advise that you think she may find helpful. Eventually this phase will pass and she will be fine.

Everything is normal and on target here developmentally for your daughter.

Troll alert!!!!

• Mark

That's usually due to a bullying issue.