Why do I loose my voice so easily?

I do not smoke, drink or do drugs. I am 18 years old in relatively good health. I loose my voice literally from talking for ten minutes. My throat will start to hurt and I will have to push more for my voice to come out. I end up clearing my throat a lot in an attempt to get my voice back. I am a singer, not professionally and not very often. My throat issue seems unrelated with singing and will happen if I sing or not and still happened to me before I started singing. I get severe sore throats every time I get a cold and often loose my voice for two or three days when I get a cold. It seems like I am just prone to this. I will get pain in my throat just for talking more than ten minutes. This is starting to affect my life because people start to look at me weird when my voice becomes raspy and I start clearing my throat.

Perhaps it's time you visit an ENT doctor.

You are doing this to yourself . STOP ! , you control what happens to you . And it can be much more serious than this . Just believe that you can stop this and tell yourself you do not do that . Then forget about it. !

Drink warm water. Lubricate your voice often. If possible do a salt water gargle. It really helps. You could even take steam. And don't be too aggresive while clearing your throat, it can damage your vocal chords too.

And when you do sing try not to be too "throaty" (when a tone feels like it is caught in the throat or being gripped in the throat, the tone is not being produced by the muscles of singing in a free manner). Try vocal exercises in your range. The right technique will help you maintain your voice.

• martin

You have to practice, practice, practice. Of course with sound, you have to find a place where you're not bothering other people. Maybe when you're home alone, or you are in a big park where not many people are around.