Is it okay to have song lyrics when doing a story on FanFiction?

I plan on doing another crossover story with Modern Family & The Middle and I imagine having Axl and Haley sing a duet for the song "My Flame" by Bobby Caldwell. I'm not making money off of Fan Fiction, I'm just doing it for fun, but will I get in trouble if I have some of the lyrics in the Fan Fic or no?

If you are posting on AO3 or tumblr, you will be fine. If you are posting on FanFictionDotNet, you can get in trouble. I am not sure about other websites.

• JerryL

no its illgeal its copyright infringement,  wich can get you sued its agest fanfiction.net rules i whould not risk it.

Source(s): being a fan fiction author
  • Logan

Nah, some people don't like song fics and that's just their opinion but there's plenty out there. If people flame you over it that's their problem. If they didn't like it they had every opportunity to hit the back button before they reached the end.

If the song is still in copyright (which it probably is) then for you to quote the lyrics in your story would be copyright infringement, which can get you sued for more money than is likely to pass through your hands in your working life.

But as long as the copyright owner can see that you're not trying to profit from your story, they'll usually ignore you. If they notice you, first they'll tell you to take the story down. (Or tell whichever fanfiction site you posted it on to take it down.) Only if you refuse are they likely to sue.

On the one hand, it's unambiguously illegal.  On the other hand, so is the fan fiction itself.  So you're basically saying you're planning to do something illegal and want to know if it's okay to add a second criminal act.  Adding lyrics just means the company that owns the rights to the song can sue you in addition to the owners of the other property that you're writing the fan fiction for.  You probably don't have the money to pay if either of them decides to take legal action.

• Zac Z

I don't think that this will be a problem.

First of all, and don't be offended, you fan fic story most likely will be too insignificant to go after you, even if you were violating copyright (which I don't you do, see the following).

Also, there's something called "fair use" where you are allowed to cite works to a certain degree even if they are copyrighted. If you cite a couple of lines from a song that should be totally fine. Now, if you produced and sold a book mainly composed of song lyrics, that'd be another question but I don't see an issue with what you do.

Perhaps you should find out if you need permission.

you shouldn't

ban copyright!