Can I bring a 1.7 to a 3.0 in 2 semesters? ?

My gpa has dropped due to personal reasons. I’m in college and I want to bring it back up to a 3.0. If I take 5-6 7 if I have to, classes in two semesters and make all As. As well as a summer class and make an A as well. Maintaining a 4.0 for now on is it possible to bring my gpa up that far in that amount of time? 

Anything is possible!

I'm guessing one of the classes you're failing is math, because looking at your comments on the other responses, you don't really seem to be understanding the concept here.

Not all 1.7 GPAs are equal. It is much easier to bring up a 1.7 GPA if that's your cumulative GPA after completing 15 credits, than if that's your cumulative GPA after completing 60 credits.

If I had a 1.7 cumulative GPA after my first semester, and got all As the next two semesters, I would have a 3.23 cumulative GPA. But if I had a 1.7 cumulative GPA after my fourth semester, and got all As the next two semesters, I would only have a 2.47 cumulative GPA. (That assumes equal amounts of credits taken each semester, but even with slight variations it would still be in the same ballpark.) 

So we can't answer your question. We need to know how many credits you've taken that lead into the 2.36. Also, how credits out of the 10 that the A class this semester is worth. 

That depends on what you mean.  Is your cumulative GPA for 100 credit hours 1.7 or is the a GPA for 24 credits?  

If you basically failed a semester, your best bet is to look into retaking those courses for grade forgiveness.  If you can basically erase a semester of failed classes and replaces those grades with Cs or higher, you'll recover your GPA much faster than trying to get a 4.0 taking too may classes per semester.  

How many credit hours do you have? To bring up a 1.7 GPA, you will need more credit hours than you have earned to date to bring up your GPA that much. Do the math - it's actually just simple arithmetic, and you should have learned to add, subtract, multiply & divide such simple numbers by 4th, maybe 5th, grade.

• MS

It depends on too many factors for anyone here to know for sure.  Your GPA is recalculated after each semester.  So it depends on how many classes/hours went into that 1.7 and how many you are taking in the hopes of bringing it up.  So it might be possible to do so, but it might not. 

• rachel2 weeks agoReport

I am taking 10 hours this semester. Right now my gpa is a 2.36, but after this semester my gpa is going to drop to what I think a 1.7 because I think I’m going to pass one class with an A and the others I believe will be Fs. I’m not a bad student I promise. Life just threw me in a loop. 

• martin

Of course it would bring your average up, however you would be putting yourself under terrible pressure, and it wouldn't be worth it.

How many semesters are in that 1.7?

Let's say it's 2 semesters. (2 * 1.7 + 2 * 4) / 4 = 2.85

Let's say it's 1 semester (1 * 1.7 + 2 * 4) / 3 = 3.23

tweak the numbers so they apply to your situation.  The more semesters are represented in that 1.7, the harder it is to get it up to a 3.0.

And quite frankly, you'll have to have a major change to go from a 1.7 average to a straight 4.0.  Not saying it's impossible but I'm not sure how realistic it is.

• rachel2 weeks agoReport

I’m not a bad student and I’m capable of As. Life has just thrown me for a loop. Right now I have a 2.36, but after this semester I know it will drop and what I think a 1.77. I have 10 hours (4 classes) one I will have an A, but the others I think I’m going to have Fs. Could you calculate it?