Dakota asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 weeks ago

Am I liable for the insurance collection?

Okay when I was 17 I had a couple heart palpitations that landed me in the ER (two separate times) My father said he would cover it and nothing else was said past that. I joined the army and couldn’t figure out why my credit score was so low. Well turns out he never paid for them, never told me about them and they went to collection after I was 18. Am I liable or should I dispute it? This was two years ago and I am just finding out tonight because I signed up for Experian. 

Are you sure none of the treatment was performed after your birthday???  If so, you were a minor and everyone is correct.  

Also, why would you consider this collection action to be associated with insurance?  Its because you didnt have insurance (minor, not your fault) that these bills arent being paid.  This is collection for unpaid medical bills, has nothing to do with insurance. 

Talk to Lexington Law Firm. If you are liable they can help you determine that. If not they can certainly help you dispute the collection properly. If the dispute is handled improperly you risk giving the collection legitimacy.

My reaction is that since you were a minor at the time your legal guardian is responsible.

As a minor those were not your obligations.  Just dispute them as they are not yours.

Do some reading here.  https://thelendersnetwork.com/6-steps-remove-colle...

you are not responsible for any bills while under 18

Tell your father that his failure to pay the debt is causing you problems. He is responsible to pay it, not you. You were a minor. Nasty business to be screwed by your own father. If he refuses to pay, you can pay it, but you aren't obligated. Tell Experian that you were a minor and your parents were responsible for the bill. You may still be hounded for the money. Creditors harass the heck out of anyone they think they might get money from.

• Judy

Dispute it.  You can't be held responsible for a debt incurred before you were 18

• martin

Never communicate whatsoever with anyone sending you or your father bills for that. After 4 years, they should stop trying to collect.

i would just talk to a lawyer about it

I don't think they can force you to pay it as you were a minor. But not sure they will remove it either. Try and see.