Medical school after PH.D? ?

Hello! I know I probably need to ask an advisor and I will 

But I have a Bach/Mas in accounting and I will be going to law school for my JD/Ph.D in neuroscience. 

I do want to attend medical school for neurology after law school. 

Is it normal to go to medical school after Ph.D or should I do JD then med school?

(I don't need advice on medical school or law. Simply asking about obtaining a PH.D before or after medical school. 

Stop telling me law schools don't offer the program. My school does. I've already been accepted. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't sure. Just answer the question 🙄

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/brain-institute/n...

That's a lot of effort, but I am not going to tell you no.  I probably would not do it, even though I probably could.

I see no question posed here.......

Law schools do not offer PhDs, nor do they offer any courses or programs in neuroscience. Those who have completed undergraduate program in premed, and have completed all their prerequisite courses in sciences, math, etc. typically do a combined MD/PhD program if they want both degrees. Law school will not prepare you for med school. Attorneys who specialize in medical practice typically do not have MD degrees, but would earn bachelor's in premed, then MD (or combined MD/PhD program), then continue to law school. Have you earned straight-A grades in all your required undergrad courses in sciences, math/calculus, etc. to qualify to apply for admission to med school or combined MD/PhD programs in neuroscience? 

• My school offers the program. I think I know what I'm looking into for the 100th time 

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/brain-institute/neuroscience-graduate-program/law-and-neuroscience/

You do not go to law school to get a Ph.D in anything. Law schools do not offer Ph.D degree programs. A J.D. degree. Is a graduate degree,,.Some law schools do offer masters and doctoral degree in law. Some law schools do offer dual degree programs for a J.D. and masters degree offered by a graduate school and a another school or department. I have yet to see a law school offer a dual degree program for a J.D.and a Ph.D., but I am not going to say ir never happens. 

Some medical schools do offer dual degree doctorate programs for an M.D. and a Ph.D., but you do have to write a masters thesis to earn a masters degree as a prerequisite for the Ph.D. My closest and best friend was admitted to dual doctoral degree program. She did getg an M.S.in immunology. She got an.,D anf special I,education in neurology and was a brain surgeon. She decided NOT to get the Ph.D. Her Ph.D. adviser/mentor was honest and told her that 90% of her time on the job wuold be reviewing or writing grant proposals. She wanted to get married, practice medicine and help people. That is exactly what she did. She was in medical school for 7 years. She graduated from medical schol and got married in June, 1983. 

Is it Normal. No , it definitely is Not normal. Air least three members of Congress have both M.D's or D.Chir or D.D.O and J.D. Degrees. 2 of them were Senatorz maybe 3 were Senators. It can be done, But getting a Ph.D. can take as long as 15 Yeats. Many graduate students are NOT full timd students. 

Right Noe you are way too confused. Your academic advisers CANNOT and will NOT do your online research FOR you and spoon feed it to you. Neither will anyone o. YA. If you want to pay someone a consulting fee to do your research for ypu, fine, but that is not going to get you into law or medical school. 

• My school offers the program. I think I know what I'm talking about. Vanderbilt in Nashville 

Confused as you don’t go to law school for a JD Or a PhD in neuro science. You get a JD in law, a PhD in neuro science is separate and another 3 plus years, and then med school...why on earth? And med school will ask you that believe me. So the short answer is no, it’s not common or typical or practical to do a JD, then. PhD then med school.

EDIT well, instead of getting snarky, add detailed info in your Question, as people can only guess. And if you know all this, then why even ask? Yes you can apply to med school at any point. Will you get in? who knows

Source(s): PA

I know one PhD who applied to medical school. It is definitely not a usual thing to do but it is not unheard of.

My advice to you is to decide what career you want. Why do you want to go to law school then medical school? What will a law degree get you if you want to practice medicine? There are some programs that offer both but those programs grant an MD degree then send students to law school without specializing so that they can practice health law. If you are planning on some strange job where you work as both part time I would encourage you to do some research to understand that idea is unrealistic. Also if you plan to go straight to medical school after graduating law school without trying to practice law, med school admissions will likely see that as a red flag. Instead of wasting years and hundreds of thousands of dollars on  multiple degrees, I would advise you to shadow both professions and pick the one of the two that you are most passionate about and stick with it. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

If you decide medical school is what you want in the end there are a large number of MD/PhD programs out there that will save you some time.

• martin

This isn't normal, but it's been done by some super-achievers. It seems it would confuse someone who's a doctor, if he also had to think all the time about legal issues, and vice versa for lawyers whose minds were full of medical subjects.

• They don't practice both. But it would be beneficial for a lawyer who specializes in malpractice or a doctor who focuses on malpractice. 

i dont see why you couldnt do that

• Laurie

Are you ever going to get a job and WORK?

• darkvelvetrain
      2 weeks agoReport

That's what people tell me all the time, too.  I am about to start my third Master's degree but own three businesses and make $250,000 a year.  Pay these idiots no heed.

Is it normal?  No is the short answer.