Am I in the wrong or are my managers gaslighting me?

I work at Walmart. I recently ignored an order out of frustration and extreme stress. I went to my car to eat and to try to calm down. I was later coached for 'insubordination'. I was asked to explain why I disobeyed the orders.    

1. I told my bosses that the tasks they were giving me were not part of my job title.   

2. I told my bosses that I was given extra tasks that caused me to fall back on my job.   

3. I told my bosses that I was not being paid enough for all the extra work they made me do.  

4. A lot of associates need me to help them out with things they cannot do. It also causes me stress as I fall behind on my tasks.

My managers just told me that everyone was stressed out, and to have consideration for everyone else. Every concern or frustration of mine was ignored. They told me to speak to them if I ever felt like this again. They ignored everything I said and they want me to speak to them again? 

I was also told me something along the lines of:

"You are a hard worker and are very knowledgeable, and that is why we are going to keep using you like this."

I was speechless after that.

Yeah, you don't care. That is exactly why a lot of good coworkers quit. Managers that don't care are just there for an easy check, and to pass on their stress and responsibilities on to others.

Wouldn't consideration be some kind of compromise? None of my issues were addressed in

anyway

. I was just given a final warning. 

If I were to do as I pleased I would be doing my job title. Instead, I am doing another job, and while I am doing that job I am getting more tasks. 

Favorite Answer

I have never seen a job title or job description that doesn't have the words "Duties as needed," included, and I'm sure Walmart is no exception. It comes down to a simple thing. Don't like your job, leave!

Don't forget to "speak to them if you ever feel like this again" so they can promptly fire you!

• Scott

They pay you for your time, in return you perform whatever work they ask you to do. That's how it works. It all pays the same. You sound immature, it isn't all about you.

They meant that instead of just ignoring an order and going out to your and eating, you should tell them that you have to take a break due to stress before you leave. But if you keep doing this, they'll fire you.

• Nunya
      3 weeks agoReport

I understand that completely. It is just that I am frustrated that they aren't taking my concerns seriously. They would rather move me out of my department rather than just see if we could come to a nicer compromise. I am not unreasonable, I am just super stressed and feel isolated.

@Nunya, grow up or find a job where you can do as you please.

ETA: Your job is whatever your employer tells you to do, as long as it doesn't break any laws. So stop whining and do your job.

• Nunya
      3 weeks agoReport

The job that I am trying to do is not my job. They took away my first job without telling me. Plopped me on this current job telling me I would be there for a few weeks, it turned into years. Then I get more responsibilities. 

It seems that you are in the wrong here 100%

They asked you to preform a task, instead you chose to throw a childish tantrum and walk out of work. Surely you can see how un-professional this is right? If you were frustrated, you take a 1-2 minute breather, then you as an adult come back and discuss the situation with management.

Your managers seem to trust you, which is why they are adding additional tasks to your title. Instead of seeing this as an insult, or a negative situation, you need to see this as a good situation, and work to learn the new tasks. If you get frustrated or are unsure of what the task is, that's when you go to your manager and ask them for assistance.

"None of my issues were addressed", well, it seems the only issue here, is your acting like a spoiled little brat who is coming off as a diva and hard to work with. Your managers are NOT gaslighting you in any way, they are doing their jobs, maybe you might want to take a cue from them, and start doing yours.

Be lucky you got off with just a warning, next time you won't be so lucky.

• Nunya
      3 weeks agoReport

Expanding my role? I get paid the same as a door greeter, yet I am given tasks as if I was a manager. I am basically trained to be a manager but without the pay. I am not seeking for a promotion. I just want to be like every other associate that gets left alone.

they might be gas lighting you

• Judy

Saying "that's not in my job description" is usually a quick way to be fired. Most places you'd have either been terminated on the spot, or at least suspended. A job description lists the main duties of the position, not usually every task you might be told to do. Part of a MANAGER's job is assigning tasks that need to be done, to people who can do them. Since you're still employed there, they obviously DID take your #2 and #4 issues into consideration. As for your #3, your pay, then go work somewhere else. You are apparently normally a good employee for them to have let you off so easily.  But in this case, yes you're in the wrong.

• Nunya
      3 weeks agoReport

Or maybe I should report them to ethics for abusing the position and not listening to my concerns. It sounds to me like you forget that we 'peons' did not sign up for all this pressure, especially for minimum wage.

grow up and stop trolling. Work there or quit. I just don't care. 

You can tell your bosses all you want. If I was your boss I would fire you for insubordination/attitude.

You are not in the wrong. Try looking for another job, dood. Your bosses are kinda trashy. A good boss would help out their employees and make sure they are in a good environment and to care about how they feel so they can work best. If you don't think you are getting paid enough, then demand more salary or less tasks or find another job or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯