Anonymous

What would you tell your kids to study in college that leads to good job opportunities & pay?

What would you recommend That they study if they don’t know what they’re passionate about but they want to get a degree and get a good job

What if they don’t have a particular class they enjoy? 

There are so many good, high-paying job opportunities in a wide variety of fields and industries. 

I would suggest your child think deep about what their interests are. Even if there isn't a particular class they enjoy, there must be something that they prefer. For example, do they prefer calculations and numerics, or prefer studying theories? If they think about it rationally, they will find that there is at least one thing they would find an interest in. 

If they still can't find an interest in anything, I suggest they carry out their own research of different jobs and careers. This research should include the job responsibilities, duties, work environment, and average salary of each job. 

Only once they have a career goal in mind will they be able to choose a good program to study. For example, if they have decided they are interested in video games and applications and would like to become a developer, then they can look for study programs such as computer engineering or software engineering degrees.

A few suggestions that I can think of are computer and technology-related fields, finance and risk analysis, supply chain management, etc... Medical and arts are good options for students who have a passion in the given fields, but is useless for students who are not dedicated enough to excel in the industry. 

Hope this helped!

graphic designers, doctors, arts, science. teaching jobs I feel like pay less 

• James

I would rather they followed their own passions and not be conflicted by my subjective ideas about what they should do.  It's only them who will have to deal with the choice.

No degree alone leads to good job opportunities & pay. Not even degrees in computer engineering or other engineering degrees guarantee any sort of job upon graduation. It takes a lot more than a degree to get a job & be successful in any sort of career. There's tremendous competition for practically anything these days. Those who are successful earn a degree in a field they are talented in, passionate about, and determined to be successful in. ANY degree might eventually lead to an excellent job & income, depending on many other factors. You need to find your niche, your specialization, and often need to create your own job.

There are people who are very successful in art history who have a passion for some specialization that qualifies them for museum curator, or the lawyer who specializes in ship flagging (only 6 of these in the world, and not enough work for all 6 of them, but very, very lucrative for some of them). You can be successful with any degree IF you bring other factors into the equation. 

Your child needs to find their own passion, their own niche, decide what they aim to do, then earn the degree(s) which will help them get there.

i heard sales makes good money

• F
      3 weeks agoReport

You don't need a degree to be a successful saleman. Ability to lie without laughing is the most important.

I wouldn't. They need to find what they want to do. Education is about more than getting a . job. And people are very much misled these days about the value of a STEM/engineering degree. English majors have been hired at a faster rate for about the past 10 years - companies appreciate good communication skills. Anyway, the good job opportunities now mostly require a graduate degree. 

• sparrow
      3 weeks agoReport

It's totally about getting a job, unless you have unlimited funds and time to go to college.

Engineering. Almost any variety.

• Laurie

I wouldn’t do that. That is backwards. You don’t choose a major and then hope you can find a job. Instead, research JOBS. Decide what job you want, and then pursue the academic program - choose the major - that is required for that job.

i would tell them to study whatever they want

• .

What's most important is that they enjoy it.  My daughter chose to not go to college.  My oldest son is a CS major and my youngest son recently switched from accounting to criminal justice.