Samantha asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 weeks ago

How can I convince my parents to let me get a rabbit?

I love animals, and I really want a pet of my own. We have a family dog, but if you are like me, you understand how much I want my own pet. I am researching rabbits. I have made a whole slideshow and everything, and my parents are still skeptical. They think I am not responsible enough. I am being completely honest in that I think I am actually a very responsible person. I am fourteen years old, and I clean my room and babysit. I had a pet hamster for awhile, until he sadly died almost a year ago. Their other reason is that they think the dog will eat it, and if I had planned to keep them in the same room, I would completely agree. However, I have done many hours of research, and I know how to happily keep a bunny in my room, and with a baby gate in front of the door. They would never even meet each other. However, my parents are still unsure, my dad especially. He is not a big pet person, and he doesn't understand why on earth I want more chores. How do I convince them?

Favorite Answer

I understand! Ask them what you need to do to prove you're responsible enough. Make sure it's something concrete, like chores around the house, getting certain grades, buying the supplies you'd need to take care of the rabbit, etc. (I had to do the last one before I was able to get my first pet.) Be sure to let THEM decide how you can prove it-- don't suggest anything unless they literally can't think of an example. (Otherwise they might subconsciously feel like you did the thing that was easiest for you or like it wasn't their idea. Humans are funny that way.) Also go to a vet or pet store and ask specifically if a dog and a rabbit can be kept in the same house and how to do it safely. Take notes or even record what they say on your cellphone (only if the person gives you permission) to show your parents. Good luck!! 

• 6 days ago

Hate to agree with some of the nay-sayers, but a rabbit is probably not an ideal pet for you. They are not like dogs (they don't like being cuddled) and they are very high maintenance. They need fresh air, running space (they're most active at dawn and dusk), constant fresh food and they frighten easily, one loud sneeze from you, or bark from your dog could give it a heart attack. Vet treatments are extremely expensive. They choose their toilet spots, which might be right on your pillow (though good news is they are pretty disciplined in the spots they choose, but again, they choose them... unless they're mad at you, then they piss and **** everywhere to make a point). They are super quiet so there's a good chance in a small space you'll accidentally trip over it or step on it. I love rabbits, I've owned five and they were hard work though I loved them to pieces. But my dad buying me one when I was still in high school is probably the biggest regret of my entire family. Pick a different animal, like a cat. They have good survival instincts, are relatively self-sufficient and can be trained to get along with dogs. 

• patty

Get a pet rock...………………...

Force them to eat carrots for about 5 months. After those months, tell them that the only way they don't have to eat them is if they get a rabbit to feed them to.

• Nathan

You can show that you are determined. You need to understand exactly what you are getting into - ans you need to make sure your home is suitable for one too. 

They require at least one vet visit in their lives (they live for 10 years on average) which can be expensive. You will need to clean their area once every few days and they will chew everything they can - any wires left out will be destroyed without a doubt. The best thing you can do is to research this thoroughly and be patient 

You dont

You can't have a pet of your own since you are a child. And rabbits are not good pets for kids. They don't like to be handled on or picked up, need a lot of special care, a very large cage and a lot of time outside of it, expensive special vet care and a special diet

Cleaning your room and baby sitting does NOT make you responsible enough for a fragile special care pet. 

I hate to be a wet blanket but until you have owned a rabbit you have no idea how much work they are.  The stuff you read online does not prepare you for the reality of living with a rabbit.  

I agree with your parents and a rabbit is not a good idea.  The dog is a major concern and your parents will probably complain about it non-stop.  Wait until you get your own place.

Live trap one.

Prove you can keep it.

Then you can let it go and buy a "tame" one.

I don't know you, and I don't know your family, but I do have several questions/concerns.

Does "your" dog currently have access to your bedroom?  If so, I think you owe some loyalty to your dog not to "replace him" with a rabbit.  Won't your dog smell and think "rabbit!"?  Won't the rabbit smell and think "dog!"?

I had a rabbit in a cage with food left at my front door with a note saying that the owner could no longer care for her.  I did not know that rabbits can and do smell if their quarters are not spotless.  They also chew - and chew - and chew.  They can be litter trainer (or so I am told, although I've never seen it), and they require a LOT of cleanup.  The rabbit that I took in grew to be over 20 pounds.  That's a lot of food and care, and the Vet bills were high.  Just getting her teeth filed down periodically was very expensive.

If you have the money for supplies and Vet bills; if you intend not to go on vacation or go away until college until the rabbit dies, then those are good arguments for a rabbit.

If I were your parent I would not want to live with the odor of a rabbit, his droppings, his urine, his food.  My rabbit lived outdoors in a heated hutch with a heated water ball AFTER I found out how rabbits chew.

Every family is different.  Why/how did the hamster die?  That would matter to me.

I would not want a rabbit in my house.  Your parents may not feel tht same way.

• NightTerror
      2 weeks agoReport

Excellent answer.  I agree with everything you said. 💯