What does the word grotesque mean as in the golden age of grotesque?

Marilyn Manson has an album called Golden Age Of Grotesque. And that made me wonder what exactly does grotesque mean?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Do you ever think of anything besides Marilyn Manson?

Oh yeah, you think about his dog.  LOL

• Disgust3 weeks agoReport

Yeah. I like slipknot Gojira Fear Factory and Sepultura

• Quato
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Open a dictionary

• 3 weeks ago

Who gives a schit. 

On the subject of Grotesque though, check out "In The Embrace Of Evil" by the Swedish Death Metal band Grotesque. This band at the end of its life contained future members of At The Gates. And a few songs on here are just as sick as anything At The Gates released. 

Source(s): nothing
  • denise
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Generally it means 'ugly' / 'unsightly'.

The 'Gargoyles' on gothic buildings are known as 'Grotesques' [The 'ugly' heads that jut out from the corners or above entrances ].

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It's actually a play on words. 

'Grotesque' originally was a style of art and architecture, coming from the Italian word 'grotto' which means 'cave'.  Look up 'grotesque' on Wikipedia and you'll see examples.

Over the years, though, 'grotesque' came to mean ugly, fantastic (in the bad sense, i.e.: like a fantasy), etc.  When you say 'That wallpaper is grotesque', people take it to mean this meaning.

So in an art book, or a book on architecture, 'The Golden Age of Grotesque' is a period of art style.  But Manson means it in the other definition.

• 3 weeks ago

gro·tesque

/ɡrōˈtesk/

adjective 

comically or repulsively ugly or distorted.

Source(s): a pretty obvious google search
  • 3 weeks ago

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.