Should I attend the funeral?

My best friend's boyfriend's little brother just passed away very unexpectedly, he was only 33 years old.

My best friend asked me to attend the funeral in support of her boyfriend.

I only met the deceased once and I have never met the family. I also don't like my friend's boyfriend but I am civil and polite since their relationship is none of my business.

My heart goes out to the family during this difficult time but I also don't think I should need to attend this funeral since this is not related to me at all.

How do I delicately decline without upsetting my best friend and without sounding like a horrible person?

Your best friend asked you to go with her for support. You have to go if you care anything for her. She needs you to be there for her.

If she's asked you to come to support her because she felt awkward but also felt obligated... would you feel differently about going? Any chance that reading between the lines would arrive at that truth? IA that a congregation of people who don't know the deceased or the family smacks more like an odd"outing" than a funeral but if she'd worded her request differently.. would you feel differently about it?

• abdul

You should attend because your BF asked you to.

• Teal

I think you should just tell her the truth, that you don't feel comfortable going and don't think her boyfriend or his family would appreciate having you there. It really wasn't her place to invite you at all. This is not an argument or a debate, you aren't doing anything wrong. She is the one being rude if she presses the issue or gets upset.

• Silver

I would go if my best friend really wants me to, but I feel for you, especially being in a sitch where you don't like the boyfriend. You should try to schedule something more important and worthwhile in the time between now and then, otherwise, if you're actually free, you should go, it won't kill you.

*rimshot*

I’d personally go, but if you’re adamant that you’re not going then say you have a speed awareness course on that day that you can’t reschedule.

Source(s): Tried that many times and it works, not on funerals though

I would go for the support of my best friend.