Oven cleaner on a electric oven?

I have to move out of the place I am renting and want to clean the oven. I got some cheap oven cleaner at wal mart. It says to spray in oven and wait 6 hours and wipe out. Ok I get that I also read where vinager and dawn dish soap will clean it. Going with the oven cleaner snice I all ready payed for it. But I never used this stuff on a electric oven before just gas ones. Can I use it? Will it mess up any thing. I am going to spray the crap out of the inside of the oven wait like 6 to 7 hours and wipe it all down with a wet rag once or twice. Any input will be helpful. 

The most important thing is to not get any of the cleaner on the heating elements. It will burn through the metal cover and ruin the elements. 

The best thing to do is be sure the power is off at the breaker box and then use a screw driver to remove the elements.

it will be fine in the electric oven

All directions on the bottle.  A roll of paper towel is best as you use once and pitch it into garbage.

I'd do the oven cleaner and be done with it.

Wipe around door hands, light switches

Vacuum, mop floor, sweep outside

High dust

Wipe walls if dirty

Overall you won't get back all your deposit so I would not spend a lot of time and money.

• In

Spray-on oven cleaners contain lye (sodium hydroxide) which is very caustic.  Wear a dust mask and googles when spraying, or hold a damp cloth over your nose and mouth and wear some sort of eye protection.  Follow label directions regarding application, and wear rubber gloves when wiping up the residue.  Just as a bit of handy information, NEVER mix bleach and ammonia, and Dawn contains some ammonia.  The gas that results is very toxic.

• martin

Those oven cleaner chemicals are deadly. Don't breathe near them. You can just use Comet or Ajax, plus a metal mesh you use to wash dishes when things burn in the pan, or the hard, plastic side of one of those sponges everyone uses to wash dishes.

That's my method for cleaning my electric oven. I can't use the self cleaning cycle because it's deadly for pets. I also spray the crap out of the inside , go to bed for the night and wipe down in the morning. And then I do a quick wipe with dawn - no vinegar- and then a quick wipe with a clean cloth and lots of hot water. Anything stuck after that is stuck forever.

• .

Many newer ovens have a self cleaning cycle, use that.