Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 weeks ago

What do you think about Merce Cunningham and Trisha Brown’s techniques? Please try to convince me of them?

Cunningham is a codified modern dance technique including elements of “chance” and Trish Brown was postmodern which was an avant-garde period right before what we call today’s concert contemporary dance and right after what most refer to as modern dance.  What do I think of them? They are both very interesting and different from each other in many ways. Both very innovative in their time. Im old enough to know. Not every piece still holds up for  me. I am into more current choreographers like Crystal Pite. (Love her! ) Modern/contemporary dance keeps changing and new visions seem to be more relevant today than the choreographers of the mid to late 20th century. 

Edit: if “please try to convince me” is your asking which you should study, there is no reason to limit yourself to one dance training technique. Most modern/contemporary dancers are well versed in the codified Graham, Horton, Limón, Cunningham, Dunham techniques along with the derivative modern techniques that they gave birth to like Ailey, Paul Taylor etc.  If it is about dance taste that is purely subjective. You like what you like. You don’t like what you don’t like. 

I think they were fluid and graceful in their choreographic vision, encouraging their principals and troupes both to be daring and inventive.