Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Can my sisters boyfriend do this? ?

He broke up with her out of the blue, they were together 5 years had 3 dogs. They both raised the dogs and my sister paid vet bills. He kicked her out of the house and said he will not give her any dog. She is devastated. Loved those dogs like they were her children. I’m so angry i want To go steal them 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

steal all of them

• Anna
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

And then she could get arrested for theft. She should sue her ex if any of the dogs  are in her name. Sounds like a bad break up and it also sounds like he's keeping all the dogs from her out of spite.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Go buy a basset hound puppy. 

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

This is a gray area.  They are NOT married.  Paying vet bills doesn't mean the dogs are hers.  Nothing much she can do unless one of the dogs IS in her name as the owner.  I would just let him have the dogs and your sister should go adopt another dog if she wants one.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Assuming the house is either bought or rented in HIS name and that your sister has no paperwork to prove any of the dogs belong solely to her, I doubt there is much she can do about him keeping the dogs.

Possession is 9 tenths of the law: Info: https://www.google.com/search?q=possession+is+9+te...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Theft is never an answer and could only end up with you in a heap of trouble.

THINK ABOUT WHAT'S BEST FOR THE DOGS!!  Situations like this are doubly hard because at least with kids, they can tell you who they'd prefer to be with.   This isn't down to 'I want' I'm afraid but your sister needs to sit with this ex and decide what's going to be best for the dogs.  Who has the most time to spend with the dogs, finances available for vet and feed bills, accommodation and so on.

A judge would award custody to the person who has been paying the bills, from the get-go.   But that isn't always in the best interests of the dogs involved.

Not what you want to hear, BUT the best outcome with this might be for them to go back to whoever bred them, so they can be found another stable permanent home, one where they can stay together!!

• 4 weeks ago

Who purchased or adopted the dogs?

Who's name are they registered in?

If they are in your sister's name, your sister can take the dogs and he can't do anything. As another user said; your sister can sue him.

• 4 weeks ago

I don't blame you.  Your sister's BF is a weasel.

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

But he may KNOW that it would be best for THE DOGS, to stay with him!!!!

• 4 weeks ago

Ok thanks for sharing

• Anna
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

The asker was asking for advice on whether his/her sister could get any of the dogs from her ex.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If there is an ownership dispute, your sister is free to sue.  A judge in a court of law will sort it out.   They will consider things like:

*  Possession/residence

*  Owner's name on pet license

*  Owner's name on microchip registration

*  Veterinary records and receipts

*  Name on purchase receipt or adoption contract

*  Breed registration papers (if registered purebreds)

• Verulam
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

........ None of which might be in the best interest of THE DOGS!!   Much as yes, this is how a judge would see the situation.

• 4 weeks ago

Tricky situation was their any legal agreements signed concerning the dogs which gives her rights to the dog in a case like this? Maybe she can get legal advice and pray something works out in her favor because unfortunately everyone don’t display natural affection when relationships break up . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.