Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 3 weeks ago

I’m in a union and my salary is set to around 33,300 and I only receive 17,700. Is this normal or is this because I’m in a union?

• Robert
    Favorite Answer

Have you considered taxes, dues and all the stuff that is taken out before you get the money. Also some union jobs are published at their full wage, but you start at a lesser wage and work up to it. For easy math: The job pays $100. You start at 70 percent, or 70 dollars and get five percent more each year until you reach the top.

I assume your base pay is $33,000 and your take home pay is $17,700. If so how many deductions do you claim on your W2 form, how much are Union Dues? Do you contribute to a savings plan? Look at the deductions on your paycheck, talk to a Union rep if you need help. On your W2 you should at least claim 1 deductible for yourself, more if you are married with children.

Good luck.

You are being overpaid for your intelligence,

Did it occur to you to read your paycheck stub so you can see exactly how much is being deducted for things like dues, medical insurance, federal tax, state tax, industrial insurance, retirement plan, etc.?

• Mark

It must be because of other deductions.  I do know the unions only take out about $30/pay period, so it's not that.

$33,300 sounds like full time hours. Are you working part time? 

Now, is $33,300 the max you can receive because, you're not always guaranteed to receive the max.