how can i get my yellow 2nd hand mathmos lava lamp to flow again?

ive had it years but hardly used it, i bought it second hand on ebay in 2009, when i first bought it the wax flowed well i recall, but now, in recent times the wax is just staying at the bottom of the lamp when ive had the lamp switched on for hours? here is a picture;

i'm using the correct 40 watts lava lamp bulb, but no joy, its a shame because its a great looking lamp once the wax gets flowing..

what can be done to make it flow once more? i don't want to do anything too complicated as i wouldn't know how, any suggestions?

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Maybe you are using a 40 watt energy saving bulb that produces lots of light but very little heat. You need to buy one of the older incandescent type bulbs that produce lots and lots of heat.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

They have a finite life (about 2000 hours). You can get a replacement bottle.

• 2 weeks ago

Among the instructions that came with ours was warning to not leave On for more than 4 hours at a time.  We had a lot of them and gave some to a friend. . . . . they left it on overnight - like 12 hours - and by morning all the color was gone and no motion.

• 2 weeks ago

I'm not sure .... But heat makes it work ... make sure the bulb is getting hot .... this is true regardless of whether it's second hand or not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.