Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 2 weeks ago

Hemoglobin A1C Results ?

can anyone explain this to me. I went to the hospital for chronic pain The hospital never told me about any of this. Ive been in constant pain for years. A Dr did an eye exam many yrs ago and said fibromyalgia no test where ran no blood work no nothing. However yrs later still in pain and this is what my file says.And from reading it says Sickle Cell results Positive??!! I went back to the hospital not knowing about this and i see now they incide discovered this as well. i have another pic

The instructions spell out the next step that should have been done 6 years ago:     hemoglobin electrophoresis to determine if you have any abnormal hemoglobin.   This test is something that needs to be ordered by a primary care doctor.

• Happy Feet2 weeks agoReport

Yes. It was tested without my knowledge this year! I have a history of chf so im in the hospital often. In 2013 I neither my Dr was notified when i was admitted for chf. i just got my reçords when i asked this question. I couldnt get a same day appointment so i asked here. I did not know till now.

You carry the gene for Sickle cell disease (Sickle cell trait) but don't have Sickle cell disease. 

''Sickle cell trait is an inherited blood disorder that affects 1 million to 3 million Americans and 8 to 10 percent of African Americans. Sickle cell trait can also affect Hispanics, South Asians, Caucasians from southern Europe, and people from Middle Eastern countries.'' https://www.hematology.org/Patients/Anemia/Sickle-...

''If both parents have SCT, there is a 50% (or 1 in 2) chance that any child of theirs also will have SCT, if the child inherits the sickle cell gene from one of the parents. Such children will not have symptoms of SCD, but they can pass SCT on to their children.

If both parents have SCT, there is a 25% (or 1 in 4) chance that any child of theirs will have SCD. There is the same 25% (or 1 in 4) chance that the child will not have SCD or SCT. '' https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/traits.html

''The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about your average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. The A1C test can be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. The A1C test is also the primary test used for diabetes management.'' https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabe...

''The lower HbA1c levels experienced by people with sickle cell trait could lead to doctors underestimating the risk of prediabetes or diabetes and could lead to delayed diagnoses.'' https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2017/feb/sickle-ce...

There are no medical tests to diagnose fibromyalgia. It's diagnosed after discussing your symptoms with a doctor, usually a rheumatologist, and if necessary tests are carried out to rule out other potential diagnoses. I had a tilt table test, EMG, a nerve conduction study, ECG and MRI of my brain and spine. 

• Happy Feet2 weeks agoReport

I had another Dr look over the records he said. Sickle cell disease was incidentally found! The 2 test are positive.So my new Dr is ordering tests to confirm. Thank you

It isn't clear what you're asking.  My general advice would be to stop using a hospital ER as your doctor or as the hospital to refer you the a hematologist (for the sickle cell), a rheumatologist  (or the fibromyalgia) and an endocrinologist for diabetes (if that is why you once A1C testing done. 

No one on YA can guess why you haven't asked previous doctors to review all of your test results in the past. 

• Happy Feet2 weeks agoReport

Also I just got my records when I posted this. So I had no knowledge of it!!! Neither did my Pcp. I am at her office now!!! I couldnt get a same day appt so I chose to ask here!!