Why do people need to make things black and white that are clearly not B&W?

Now I am not saying that there are no black and white principles, or that morality is relative any way. In fact, denial of principles would be detrimental. Yet people still seem to try and force things to be black and white where they clearly are not.

It seems like this is pretty popular in politics. You always get some bozo who thinks that one solution is the answer to a problem, and anything that doesnt fit in is wrong. I have seen this otherwise with anti-alcohol movements, religion, vegan movements, parenting systems, traditional marriage, political correctness, you name it. People feel the need to put a "one size fits all" solution on complex matters.

Why do we hold onto concepts, images and the past when life and reality is always new? I think it's because our individual perception is from our individual ego, which are images that are like a coin where one side is "me" and the other side is "not me." Having evolved for ions, the ego isn't capable of getting beyond itself to see reality without any distortion from the past, even though the present and reality is all there is, and we have the consciousness and intellect to see what is.

So we do what we can with the past in the present and try to organize it and dress it up, but because the present is always new, organizing what is past in anticipation of the future doesn't work all the time, and we live in fear of not knowing the future when all there really is is the present.

• j153e

Your question's phrasing reflects your own freedom from either-or fallacy, in that some things may seem to be an either-or, and other scenes would seem to have more than two binary and mutually exclusive choices.  "We speak with one voice" or "Great minds think alike" are appeals to a herd or collective instinct which is historically deep-set in mankind as it evolved on earth.

Being a team player, one's country right or wrong, running dog lackeys, etc. are examples of herdly survival instincts perhaps occasionally carried beyond their usefulness.

It's not necessarily the case that it's either always black and white, or always a spectrum; some things or principles may be "yea, yea, nay, nay," and others, "ye shall not surely...".

It may be the better part of wisdom to know when to hold'em (principles of yea/nay, and/or the principle of unfolding or developing non-binary options), and to know when to find common ground (whether of adopting a stricter either-or, or a more inclusive both/and), and the test of applying that wisdom is often very individual, as Kant with his Categorical Imperative or considered Golden Rule understood.

You never need to doubt or question a 'truth' that is clearly stated and easily understood.

If 'X is always right' and 'Y is always wrong' then people know exactly where they stand.  People like certainty; it gives them confidence.

• I know you want one, but there's no black and white answer to that.

• John

As my mother used to put it when I was younger, don't deal in "isms".

Simply put: it means to deny reality. Reality is not made of binary truths or black and white ideas. Reality is described best in a ternary system or millions of greys. Dealing in absolutes means to take an answer and exclude all other possibilities.

• Yeah. i can have alcohol with dinner but just because these stupid alcoholiccs are around everyone freaks.!! Over Some Fcking WiNE.!!

Fcking Un-refined Animals..!!!!!