Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 weeks ago

Am I able to buy used car with cash with clean title without putting insurance or registration?

I’m looking at a 1995 Ford Ranger XL for $800 as a little project vehicle. I’m planning on buying this and fixing it as I go. It will stay on a friend of mines property until I sell my daily driver. Am I able to just do a title transfer at my age and am I able to do a title transfer without having to provide insurance or registration? Again I won’t be driving this on public roads. Is it also possible to have the title mailed to a different address?

7 Answers

  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    By law you must transfer title after purchase. Registration is only needed to drive or park on public streets. The DMV has a certificate of non-operation you can sign for them to avoid registering until fixed up. To title a vehicle in your name you must be 18 or older. If under and titled in someone else’s name with you they are legally co owners. Even if only your money was used. Also if under 18 you can not legally make this purchase.

  • May
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    Yes. You may certainly buy the vehicle lawfully without registering (buying plates) it or insuring it as long as it is not parked on or driven on public streets. You are required to get a title for it though. It would be illegal to use another's address. You must use your own address. You are doing nothing wrong so you don't have to be sneaky and do something illegal. .

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You don't say how old you are but need to be at least 18.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    You never mentioned how old you were. That might matter where you live for the title transfer. Dad(or mom) may have to sign for it to be legal.  Ask for your area.  Any insurance agent can tell you. 

      You don't need insurance except to get it from where you buy it to the place you are taking it to.  Unless you plan to trailer it over...on a low boy flat bed.

     If you are buying from an auto auction, then they should be able to tell you how to get one way insurance to get it from the yard to the property.   It is an A to B drive, straight as the crow flies and you stop in the yard and the insurance is now FINISHED.

      They would also be able to tell you about the registration signature, that might be mom again.  It is just the name of an adult and her address.  In case the vehicle is actually stolen from you then she would be the person notified when it is found.

    Title transfer is possible.  Getting rego requires a title transfer first. Getting insurance happens after the rego.

    . Don't hide the car from your parents knowing.  They don't really care.  At least it is not a GIRL.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    It can be titled without insurance - it cannot be registered without insurance - in the USA - but there may be some states that are different - but forcing someone to carry liability on a project car, parts car etc that they want to legally own until they decide how to dispose - is ludicrous. 

  • 3 weeks ago

    Laws and regulations vary wildly from state to state.  I'm a car dealer in Texas, and here a car dealer may not sell a motor vehicle to the public without first copying the insurance and then the dealer must obtain the registration (and license plates) on the behalf of the customer and mail them to the customer.  Dealers are not required to verify the insurance or register if the motor vehicle is sold to non-public (such as another dealer, sold at auction, sold to a salvage yard, or to a licensed metal recovery facility).  The law here does not apply to the general public.  So a person can buy a 1995 Ford Ranger XL from another person, and then visit the DMV and pay for the transfer of title.  Insurance is not required unless also obtaining the license plate and registration.  Here it is possible to have the title mailed to an address other that listed on the driver license.  I do it all the time.  When I finance a vehicle, I have the title mailed to me and not to the customer.  I then hold the title until the balance of the loan is satisfied.  I hope that this helps.  Best of luck!

    • John Davis
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

      Edna, Please report the dealer to the DMV so that a complaint may be filed as the dealer has violated Texas Transportation Code, Title 7 (Vehicles and Traffic), Ch 501 (Certificate of Title Act), Subchapter B, Section 501.0234 (Duty of Vehicle Dealer on Sale of Certain Vehicles).

  • 3 weeks ago

    yes, u can buy the truck. No, u cannot title/transfer without insurance, u have 30 days to transfer into ur name without a fine, unless u can show this truck is a fixer upper not road ready and then register when road ready. Driving anytime without insurance is a costly risk. U can get a 1 month policy to cover ur purchase and drive IT to destination, otherwise if it is trailered u will NOT be driving it if u dont need ins. already own another vehicle is ez to add another to current ins. Buy liability only, maybe $30 .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.