So here it goes, I plan to upgrade my PC but only the cpu, mainboard and ram. Do I need to format it or just replace things and boot it up?

It is Windows 10 64 bit with 1GB Nvidia GeForce210 and 4GB ram.

Plan to upgrade to AMD A4 or A6

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Reformat your drive and reinstall your windows

• Gonzo
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

I am glad I have an Apple.

• 3 weeks ago

Just to clarify

An OEM Key is not transferable. It's stuck to whichever motherboard it was placed on.

A Retail key can be transferred from one PC to another. However you will have to Uninstall the product key from the previous PC/Motherboard before junking it.

• 3 weeks ago

the new mobo includes new drivers that must be installed. ask how to do this on the mobo maker's Support pages [because you already have an operating system installed].

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Re-install Windows 10. Formatting will be automatic.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You will have to reinstall Windows. The Motherboard drivers need to be installed.

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The good news is that Windows 10 is shockingly good at automatically configuring itself when put into a new machine.  The bad news is by changing the motherboard your windows licence will deactivate and may not be able to be activated if your windows license is not considered transferable, which I would guess probably isn't unless you had initially purchased a very expensive retail license.    If you have an OEM key (not issued by a PC manufacturer like Dell or HP) you can often activate it, but it must be on a fresh install. 

• David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It depends on how similar the old hardware is to the new hardware. If it is reasonably similar you will probably get away with allowing the old windows setup to find the new hardware and install the necessary drivers, it will probably require one or two boots to complete but you should be OK after that. Windows may re-activate with the same licence if you are lucky

If the hardware is significantly different i.e. going from an intel to AMD or vice versa then you may get conflicts and windows refuses to boot or will crash or develop other glitches that can only be solved by a clean install. Additionally you may require a new windows licence if it is OEM -  Microsoft doesn't allow of transfer of an OEM from one computer to another, however retail licences can be transferred.

If you are upgrading to an AMD A6 this is still a low performer by modern standards and would only be suitable for basic tasks.

HTH

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You should list your whole current part list and what you plan to buy. You refer to very low end old parts. An A6-6400K as one example cpu integrates Radeon HD 8470D.

Geforce 210 scores only 171 graphics power score.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The 8470D scores 521, so if you used an A6-6400K, you remove and discard the Geforce 210.

You will probably have issues booting up as drivers will be different when you change the motherboard. A valid Windows 10 license can usually be transferred.

Without more information than you show, complete advice is hard to offer.

• 3 weeks ago

Windows 8 and Windows 10 will boot up even if you change a lot of the hardware. However, I personally would go for a clean install since the drivers from your previous hardware can potentially cause odd problems with entirely different hardware.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.