What is the purpose of matte finish?

Can someone tell me what the purpose of matte finish is..because I am doing some project and need to know whether to add or remove Matt finish

Favorite Answer

Matt finish is not glossy. In fact it is the opposite of glossy. Surface shine varies. The most shinny is referred to as glossy. Less shiny is satin.

Note: Typically glossy surfaces are more difficult to repaint since the smooth surface does not allow new pat to adhere as well so if repainting it is best to treat the surface with a cleaning solvent that reduces that gloss and allows new paint to adhere better.

I've not seen any instructions regarding repainting that demands removing a matt finish. Since yu did not state your project is one involving painting I'm not sure why such instructions would be required but if a mat finish must be removed it may be because a matt finish is difficult to clean and the materials you are using my allow any surface contamination to bleed through.

Don't you just hate it when you are given instructions with no information as to Why those instructions were provided?

We use it at work for very low light reflection.

The purpose is to give a matte appearance.

Matte finish allows a crisper colour, as there is no reflection.

• Rick

It DOESN'T show fingerprints ............................................

• Vicki

Matte just makes it flat. Like not glossy. If it was like a display or something it helps prevent glare.

• Sandy

matte is a dull, flat finish. the other finishes are shiny or "glossy" to some degree.