Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

How do I see my granddaughter when her mother has custody and refuses?

I used to have temporary guardianship of my granddaughter for three years. Her mom fought to get her back and it was over a year long court battle. I was trying to protect my 4 year old granddaughter from being confused since I had had her for 3 years. I feel my daughters husband had a big role in this and one night I saw them and I was very stupid and I followed her and told her husband I was going to ruin him for what he had done. She started taping me so I hit her and he pushed my hand away and My friend told them to get the hell out of where they were at I know it was very wrong but I was very intoxicated. It’s been a month and a half and she says I need to get help because it’s not in her daughters best interest to see meI regret what I’ve done how can I see my granddaughter can I take this to court

In most places grandparents have no right to see grandchildren.

"so I hit her" and "I was very intoxicated".  You have given her an easy defence to action you take.

• Sally

Yes, you can take it to court. Google "legal aid clinic" along with your town name and go see someone at your nearest clinic.

Going to court is your only chance.

• jimmy

You have no rights in this case.

Let's see if I understand this.  You got very drunk.  You threatened your son in law.  You hit your daughter for recording your threats.   Go ahead and try taking this to court.  All they have to do is show the court the video your daughter took of your drunken threats to get a restraining order against you so that you can never contact any of them again in your lifetime.

I think I know how your daughter went off the rails and temporarily lost custody.  You are one toxic parent.  I pray that your granddaughter did not have to witness your appalling behaviour.

You can't.  Grandparents have no visitation rights.

<  and I was very stupid and I followed her and told her husband I was going to ruin him for what he had done >

Yeah, you've sort of screwed the pooch on trying to work with your daughter and husband.  I'd write you off as a nutcase also.