Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 3 weeks ago

Why do a lot of seniors worry about daft, trivial, affairs?

My relation works for a company who supply / manage social housing complexes for the elderly and retired. His job is a nightmare because of constant complaints he has to investigate on site and resident meetings he has to attend. Everybody shouts and moans at him, calling him names and screaming abuse about how useless he is. Typical complaints range from 'seagull poop on the cars, it's always raining, there's too many leaves in the car park and the cleaners have left a bit of fluff in the corner'. It's generally things which cannot be solved or addressed. Why do a lot of seniors spend all day worrying about daft, trivial, affairs?

It gets to the point of obsession with a lot of them

We're still in an economic recession, jobs do not grow on trees. He is not my uncle

1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

They honestly have nothing better to do, their family have left them there because they are repulsed by their old withering bodies

• Janet

Because they are constantly in some degree of pain, their body isn't working properly and gets worse all the time, and they are facing death.

They already have their plate full of as much grief as they can handle.

Have some compassion, already. You will be there too one day and hope for a bit of tolerance and compassion.

• What has any of that got to do with what he said and how do you know the people involved have health issues?

• P.L.

The more free time an elderly person has the more they will dwell on unnecessary things. To prevent this they need to be provided with tasks of some kind or given board games to occupy their mind etc. My mother lived to be in her mid 90s but was so tired at that age that she slept in her chair for hours so that used up a lot of her free time. Her days were taken up with eating the meals the carer warmed for her, chatting to visitors or sleeping in her chair. She still slept all night after watching T.V. in her bedroom for half an hour or so. She did very little complaining.

Small issues often seem like bigger issues as we age. It's normal.

their lives do not include interests, hobbies, socialising perhaps which could be addressed instead of trying to solve insoluble.

• A C

Because a lot of our brain cells have died.  

• rick

I took care of most repetitive, predictable, and therefore trivial things, in the first year after I retired. If a problem arises, I'm able to address it on my own time, using logic and reason, instead of reacting emotionally.

A little planning, goes a long way. Prevention instead of reaction works. When someone complains, appoint them a committee of one, to rectify the problem. Complaints soon dry up.

Why worry. Enjoy, instead!

Source(s): I own 5 rentals, every one is full and the tenets are happy.

It's all they have to look forward to.

• Because we can.  We all face frustrations in life but once you reach old age you learn how to dump them on someone else.

There are two issues here. The first is that you "uncle" has a choice of where he works.

The second is because many non-seniors have the same concerns, but feel they have to live with them. Seniors have a tendency to expect more from apartment managers.