Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 weeks ago

My neighbor lets his cat just roam around loose and I accidentally ran over it and he wants me to pay the vet bill?

The cat darted into the street at about 1am in the snow and ice in a 55mph zone and he thinks it was my fault that his cat got hit.  

I've told him I have no intention of paying, but offered him my insurance info if he wants to pursue it.  

Should I just ignore him unless he actually tries to take me to court?  The whole thing is pretty ridiculous.  What do people expect to happen when they let their cat play in the street?

• patty

if u want to stay friendly maybe offer to pay half. But I don't think u are at fault. The cat should be indoors

Its just a stu pid cat as a rat is just a rat. For some moronic reason cat lovers think these invassive pest deserve special treatment. Maybe I 'd pay the fkg bill and then a few weeks later I'd catch the cat and throw it to a dog. It's very pleasant.

So long as the cat doesn't belong to a mob member, tell him to eat your shorts. 

• Ocimom

Its his fault for the cat's death by letting the cat outside unsupervised.  Why would your insurance pay anything for a pet being hurt or killed.  Just don't do or say anything more about it.

Yeah I bet the knows how to read a stop sign or use a sidewalk.  

Yeah it's sad that the cat got hit, but ultimately if you're letting your cat outside like that it's your own fault for it getting hurt. Theres a reason why indoor cats live longer.

If you're gonna be an entitled af cat owner who thinks their pet can do whatever tf it wants then you best be prepared to accept the **** consequences of your shitty lazy ownership.  YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Cat wandering lose is owners responsibility.

If the cat damaged the car then the owner of the cat is responsible for repairs.

No way is it your responsibility. His cat, his choice to let it out. Cat's dart out in front of cars or hide underneath of them, he knows that as does any cat owner.

• *****

You are not liable in any way to pay for the vet bills and can continue to refuse his demands.  Your insurance will not pay, either. Your car was where it belonged, his cat was not. He is responsible for the vet bills caused by his negligence in allowing his pet to stray into the roadway. If hitting the cat caused any damage to your vehicle, he is responsible to pay for that, as well.