Can someone in the medical field answer this question ?

So last Sunday (10th) I fell ill while I was driving back from my hometown. It started with a mild fever and got worse and worse as the drive went on. By the time I got home I felt so sick I just crawled into bed and slept for 20 hours straight. When I woke up I had a high fever, sore throat, a terrible headache, and was vomiting A LOT. I thought I had the cold or the flu so I made a doctors appointment for the next day. I went and they said I probably had the flu or some type of viral infection, prescribed me cough medicine and nausea medication and sent me on my way. I started to actually get worse than I was before I went. It’s been a little over a week and I still have a fever, migraine, terrible cough and sore throat, and all I want to do is sleep. I’m a college student so I have to walk to class everyday. What I’ve been noticing is that whenever I have to engage in any type of physical activity my cough becomes so violent I can’t breathe and usually have to stop to puke at least twice on my way to class. So my question to y’all is: what is happening to my body? I’ve had a cold and the flu before and this feels different. What is your opinion? 

So I should not that I have tried mucinex and other cough medicine, I even had prescribed cough medicine. Unfortunately nothing has worked to alleviate my symptoms so far.  

• Kerri

Sounds like the flu for sure. Symptoms can last anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. A past flu experience may have felt different because it was probably a milder flu strain. The cough may linger for months even after all other symptoms are gone. But you should really get back to a dr. Continuing to have fever (over 3 days) warrants further investigation to make sure a pneumonia hasn’t developed.

Source(s): Nurse

Mucinex is the trade name for generic guiafenesin, which is available over the counter in either liquid or pill form.  It acts to thin out mucus so it can be coughed up more easily.   Look for it in drug departments near the cough and cold section.

I'm not a medical professional, but i've had the same sort of thing a few times.  Its not unusual to have severe symptoms that last more than a week with a viral infection.   You probably have a severe cold and thick post-nasal drip that is causing the coughing and nausea.  For me, colds always last 10-14 days.  Extra strength Mucinex can help immensely with the mucus .