If you're 50 and older, what was your first personal computer?

My first was the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI...

A few years later, I bought an IBM PS2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/...

Compared to today's computers, they are weak, but they were both pretty popular then.

Favorite Answer

Mine was a TRS 80. I replaced it with a Commodore 64, which I still think is one of the best home computers made. From there to an IBM PC in 1983 the first month (August) they were on the market.

I still have the original IBM PC, although over the years I have replaced every single component in it. I keep it only as a novelty piece, as it has the original flip-top case. It gets all kinds of comments from any geeks I show it to.

• CD

IBM 8088 was the first one for me.

Apple Macintosh. Prior to that I used various minis such as the PDP-10, Harris Slash6, or proprietary systems built with National, Intel, AMD or Zilog microprocessors.  I had microcomputers and minis (sometimes mainframes) at work so I didn't need one at home until much later.

9th grade a 1969 DEC PDP-8!  By 1976 I worked at DEC (Digital Equipment Corp)! lol my doorbell has more computer power than that 12 bit mini-computer

I built my own.

I had a couple of attempts using TTL that never worked properly, then the Motorola 6800 was released and I built a system with that. 

When the 6809 was released I built one with that & memory management.

I've been designing and building electronics ever since.

• opurt

Originally an Apple ][, well a clone anyways. Then one of the early Macintoshes. The first one I bought myself was a 386sx PC.

My family couldn't afford one, although we used a Commodore 64 in school.  My husband and I bought an Amiga 500 when it was released.

My first was a Timex-Sinclair.

2k memory, programs loaded by cassette tape.

• David S
      2 weeks agoReport

My cousin had one of those. It led to a career in computers.

IBM PS/2.  I forget which model, but it was around 1990

• At university, we had a huge Univac machine that we programmed with punched tape. My phone is considerably more powerful (and it's a cheap Chinese Android one). The first computer I used at home was an Epson PX8 with a four line LCD display. I replaced that with a Z80 based CP/M machine that I built from scratch myself (with a bit of help from Practical Computing) and I modified the PX8 to use as a terminal. Around 1989, I bought an AT clone running MSDOS 3.2 and kept adding bits upgrading it to DRDOS 5.