NS asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Does smoking cigarettes stunt height growth? Read description please ?

I have been smoking 1 cigarrete a day so 5 a week everyday from 2018 August till now I was 5'7 then and now I'm only 5'8.5 I'm 16 now and my dad is 6'3 and my mum is 5'2

One cigarette a day will not do anything. However, you should quit before you become addicted. Smokers live 12 years less on average.

it stunts EVERYTHINg just smoke weed and u be fine

• LP7

No it doesn't regardless of the information you have given

• Alpha

Smoking reduces your lung's ability to oxygenate your blood and this means every organ and tissue in your body is getting less oxygen than someone who does not smoke. When you deprive your body of air, it cannot work at its most efficient. And that includes growing your body.

There have been many medical studies that have shown that smoking while you are in your growth spurt interferes with your growth.

Here are just one example:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smoking-won-t-h...

• Rick

Your ultimate height was programmed into your DNA when you were born, & there's nothing you can do to change it ...............

• Cara

You could give up and see what happens. Anyway, you've probably got at least a couple of years to go before you reach your full height.

It didn't for me.