I need a wide-angle lens for my D5300. Any help for picking the right one for me?

Nikon 10-20mm vs Sigma 10-20mm which would produce a better image is given that every other variable is kept same ( apart from f value) ??

any other ones I should consider ? Tokina images seem to softer 11-16mm and 11-24mm and Tamron version is a lot more expensive

I have recently purchased a Tokina 11-20mm for my Nikon and I'm very pleased with it.

• BriaR

I have the Sigma 10-20mm and love it!  Fantastic lens.

Can't speak for the Nikon - it won't fit my Canon ;-)

• Frank

To know which one you like best, you could rent both of these lenses and do your own tests. https://www.lensrentals.com/search?q=10-20

Read reviews of those lenses.

Generally, the Nikon option will be optically the best, but not always. 

It will usually be the best build quality though, and it will always work on the Nikon bodies it’s been designed for. That’s not always true with Third Party (“off-brand”) lenses as body firmware updates can sometimes make them electronically incompatible unless the lens manufacturer also has an update. It can also mean that they won’t work with later models than yours which use the same mount.

Nikon lenses also hold a far higher resale value than Third Party lenses. That difference can sometimes justify their higher initial cost.

But in this case, I’d choose the Tokina 11-16mm. It has a faster f/2.8 maximum aperture which is constant throughout the zoom range. It’s also one of their professional quality lenses, so has excellent build quality which is quite a bit better than the Nikon 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-P G VR DX. 

But if you cannot afford that lens then the Nikon is clearly a superior choice in all respects to the Sigma. Although if you can get the Sigma 8-16mm that gives you a very worthwhile additional wide angle and the softness almost vanishes when the lens is slightly stopped down. It also has a rectilinear design to avoid the fish-eye effect and although not free of distortion it is easy to correct in any decent editing app such as Affinity. The 8-16mm also has an excellent build quality.

Image below taken by me in Lisbon, Portugal, with the Sigma 8-16mm and is very sharp.