Is our mainstream music a sign of our stupidity as a nation?

Most of the music being made today is based on the same basic chord progressions. There is also no active listening anymore. We don't analyze how brilliant the rhythmic or harmonics of a song is. We just bop our heads to the same generic beats.

• Dog

Why criticize mainstream music as being so mainstream?  To find music and performances that engage active listeners you have to look outside of the mainstream.  It does exist. 

Aaaaand the fact that every single popular song from about 1950-1958 was a 12 bar blues is somehow more 'sophisticated'?

People like basic music because most people are basic.

I am just thrilled that some recent pop music doesn't just sound like some guy trying to yell cadence while doing push-ups or running in place.  Go to a video of Lizzo's recent song, "Good as Hell".

• marty

I must agree with you. What I think is wrong is getting people famous because they won some television show contest. That only gets you someone that can carry a tune,  but they haven't got the heart or soul in their music. They just want the fame but don't have the love of their art.