Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 weeks ago

Is Christmas a celebration based on the Bible?

Update:

please read Luke chapter 2 verse 8-11

Update 2:

the first Christmas is not in the bible. we do not even know what month Jesus Christ was born. 

Update 3:

I read the bible each and every day and I never read the first Christmas. their are made up books and they are full of lies about Christmas stories. Jesus was brought up Jewish and he would never celebrated Christmas  and even after Jesus death, the disciples never . celebrated Christmas either. Jesus told us to celebrate his death not his birth 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Terry
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely not. What is more, the celebration amounts to nothing short of blasphemy and for that reason it was originally banned in the United States. Genuine Christians have no part in it.

What Does the Bible Say About Christmas?

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bi...

• 2 weeks ago

'Christmas' is a holiday that was co-opted from Pagans.  The 'Jesus' character in the bible wasn't born anywhere near December - but as the Roman Empire spread and propagated 'christianity' (ironically, at the tip of a sword), they would absorb various local customs, etc.

• 2 weeks ago

God celebrated it with a band of angels in the sky proclaiming Jesus' birth.

The angels sent the shepherds to find and honor the birth of Jesus

God send the Magi (and their entourage that probably numbers a several hundred people) across hundreds of miles to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

So why would God have an issue with us celebrating the birth of Jesus today?  He did it back then.

Granted, many of the traditions we use to celebrate Christmas have little or nothing to do with Christ.  But that is a different matter then when we should honor him.

Of course we should celebrate his birth, his life, his miracles, his healings, his teachings, his promises, his death, his resurrection and everything else about him.  That is the whole point of the Christian faith - to honor Christ.

• BJ
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Absolutely not

Jesus commanded that we commemorate his death, not his birth. Luke 22:19, 20.

Jesus’ apostles and early disciples did not celebrate Christmas. The New Catholic Encyclopedia says that “the Nativity feast was instituted no earlier than 243 [C.E.],” more than a century after the last of the apostles died.

There is no proof that Jesus was born on December 25; his birth date is not recorded in the Bible.

Christmas is not approved by God because it is rooted in pagan customs and rites. 2 Corinthians 6:17

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • It is proper for Christians to celebrate the gift of Jesus to the world.  Since the early days of the Church, we have celebrated the epiphany (revelation) of Jesus to the world on 6 January.  That may well have been the anniversary of the start of his ministry with his baptism by John in the Jordan.  That day is now linked to the birth narrative in Matthew's Gospel, with Jesus's baptism celebrated the following Sunday.  Since 315AD, the Western Church has had a feast on 25 December linked to the birth narrative in Luke's Gospel, with 12 days of celebrations until 6 January.  The Eastern Church does not celebrate 25 December, but continues to celebrate the gift of Jesus to the world on 6 January.

Most cultures have a midwinter festival and Christmas replaced a number of pagan festivals when the Roman Empire adopted Christianity as the state religion.  The commercial beanfeast that usually precedes Christmas tends to be an amalgam of various pagan rites.

Those religions who do not celebrate the gift of Jesus to the world are certainly not Christian.

• Chi girl
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

99% correct.  It's false to say the Orthodox Church celebrates Christmas on January 6.  The only one I know of which does that is the Russian Church.  We Greeks celebrate it on December 25, just like most Orthodox Christians

• Ambar
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago

The Bible does not give the date of Jesus’ birth, nor does it say that we should celebrate his birthday. As McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia states: “The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of NT [New Testament] origin.” Instead, an examination of the history of Christmas exposes its roots in pagan religious rites.

Learn more about the history of Christmas in the following link ...

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bi...

• mom
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

that is not true. the angels did not celebrated Jesus Christ birth

• 2 weeks ago

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus while the giving presents tradition was started by saint Nicholas, it isn't really based on the bible itself and Christmas is only the celebration of Jesus not the birth of Jesus even though some people still think it is.

• 2 weeks ago

I think Christians see it that way. I know there are pre- Christian roots and elements to it, but if it satisfies some Christians, I cannot count it against them.

Romans 14

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,

‘every knee will bow before me;

every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
  • Mack
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Nope in 15 chars.... But it is a great holiday!

• 2 weeks ago

Yes. The first Christmas is in the bible.

• Chi girl
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Dennis -- Pardon, the JW coward has me blocked. -- Christmas may not be in your heretical JW-made text, The NWT, but it's definitely in the BIBLE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.